Utahloy International School, China

arusso41

Utahloy International School, China

Post by arusso41 »

Hello, anyone give any information about this school.. it has not been reviewed. Please advise, positives, negatives? anything!
arusso41

I find it hard to believe.....

Post by arusso41 »

I find it amazing that almost 150 people viewed this post, but had nothing to say... I would be gracious for any information you can provide.. life in Guanzhou, the school.. life outside school.. teachers network, local resteraunt.. literally any information you can give. Seriously come on folks.
neveah

Post by neveah »

I saw this job ad at tieonline and I'm also curious. I don't think you will get many responses because this does not sound like a popular place to go in China. It's not like Hong Kong or Shanghai. Is this a brand new international school? This could be the reason why you can't get a whole lot of information. You can try to contact the faculty and the staff to see if they can help. You can also look at travel websites to learn more about that particular area of China.
Canadianguyinasia

Utaloy International School

Post by Canadianguyinasia »

I worked at the American International School in Guangzhou (AISG) for 3 years, so I know a bit about Utaloy. It was definately the "second" school of choice for expats and international teachers in Gunagzhou. Although the package was not bad, there seemed to be a very high turnover at the school, questionable administration, and Utaloy parents were continually re-applying to the American School.

Given the expansion of AISG into new, larger facilities, supposedly capable of holding 2000 students, my guess is that Utaloy will have more difficulty than ever staying afloat.

As for Guangzhou, I loved it. Although the name of the city (formerly known as "Canton") is not as familiar to westerners as Beijing or Shanghai, that is not true among Asians, and GZ is considered to be a very important city in China and Asia. It is a modern, bustling city, and the richest city in China. An added bonus is it's close proximity to HK (1.5-2 hour train ride) and it's location, making virtually every destination in Asia, from Indonesia to Japan, within 4 hours.

I'd not hesitate to live in Guangzhou again, or work at AISG again, which I believe to be a sleeper "one of the best" schools in Asia, but I'd definitely look more deeply into Utaloy.
Canadianguyinasia

Re: Guangzhou

Post by Canadianguyinasia »

Look here for traveler reviews of Guangzhou. It is listed in the top 16 cities in Asia on Yahoo travel. This is also a great site to see other traveler reviews of cities worldwide. You should look here before deciding on a post in an unknown city.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-1 ... gfkbPlDmoL

Guangzhou is surprisingly modern and developed. A couple of the worlds tallest skyscrappers are located in Gz, with more currently being constructed. There are elevated highways, underground metro's, and nice park/public spaces throughout the city.

Air pollution tends to be the biggest complaint of most expats, but this is true of virtually any city in Asia. You can't pack 15 million plus people into 1500 sq km's and not have air pollution.

The cost of living in Gz is low; on par with Bangkok/Manila. Perhaps slightly lower than Shanghai and Beijing.

Gz is westernizing rapidly, like the other mentioned Chinese cities. In my last year there, the first Starbucks opened. By the end of that year, there were 10.

If you have any more questions about GZ, I'm happy to tell you what I know.