American Embassy School India any recent info?

PsychBean

American Embassy School India any recent info?

Post by PsychBean »

Hello All,

I would like some information on this school. I know of someone going this year for the first time. Interviewed in Dec and received job offer and is quite excited. I hear the package is good but the reviews on the paid portion of the site are not recent. So I was wondering if there is any new information out there. How is the cost of living? How is the housing. How is it for families living in india (expats). Do you get commissary privileges working at this school? Is it safe for women? What are the pro's and con's?

Thank you.
jayhawk

Re: American Embassy School India any recent info?

Post by jayhawk »

I have never worked there, but I have called India home for several years so I think I can speak to a couple of these questions.

The cost of living can be incredibly low given this is a capital city. I can pretty easily get by on 300 INR (less than $6 USD) a day, including accommodation, meals, and limited movement on public transportation. It's possible to get by on less, but one would lose a lot of privacy and to get the kind of calories I'm used to one would have to eat in langar halls. The high end I'm less familiar with, but it's pretty easy to spend $50 USD on a better lunch. I'm sure it gets even more refined than that, I've just never had the desire to seek it out. Over the past five-ten years, the "emerging middle class" has resulted in more middle ground. The school is pretty close to most of this action (south Delhi).

There is a lot of culture/history in Delhi and it's the best hub for reaching nearby places of interest. I imagine there is plenty to do for family outings. I would, however, avoid any theme park type attractions. Safety is by and large an afterthought, across the board. Akshardham Mandir, Qutb Minar, Lal Qila (Red Fort), Bangla Sahib, Select City Mall, Dilli Haat, International House (where there are free cultural shows, weekly, if I remember correctly), and more. That's just in the city itself and I could probably come up with another 20 or so worthy attractions. Within a few hours of Delhi things get even more incredible (there's a reason I spend so much time there). One can stay in repurposed forts, visit Himalayan hill stations and religious sites, and check out the "modernization" of India (e.g. Gurgoan). I could go on, but I won't.

Safety...it's a controversial issue, in my experience. A lot of women I have met over the years say it's safe, but they'll add that they've been assaulted in one way or another. The women, who I've met, who actually spend a lot of time in India are starting to be more concerned given the perceived increase in assaults. I'd say it isn't "safe" for women after dark. According to a recent article in the Times of India, there are six rapes reported every day in Delhi (and I would bet that the number of unreported rapes is at least three to four times that). Most of these are gang rapes and involve younger girls, out late (after dark), and, without looking at the actual data, lower on the socio-economic scale. Verbal abuse and uncomfortable staring are pretty much guaranteed at all hours. Groping is not uncommon. If fact, in my experience, it happens frequently. I'm a huge guy, by Indian standards, and I've been groped (in broad daylight, on crowded public transportation, more than once). Any woman coming to India would be wise to mentally prepare for this. Hopefully, she'll be the exception.

I'm happy to respond to anymore questions unrelated to the teaching side of things.
Briz

Post by Briz »

Have been there, and know several folks working there. The experience is as good as it gets in India. The drawback is that in most cases you have to be American, which has had some immigration like issues with India, and the school being so prominent receives the brunt of the difficulties. I would never want to go back to India, but I would go to the Embassy school!
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

Thanks Briz. My collegue and I are American, so hopefully that would work in her favor.

I think I will look into this school myself in the future.
Mike

Post by Mike »

The school is going through some tough times...

Tuition is going up 30%. They may have to pay 30 years of back taxes. Visas for teachers are in limbo. All because of the arrest and strip search of the Diplomat in NYC. Hopefully these problems will die down over the next year or so.
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

Ok, good to know I wouldn't be looking myself until 2015-2016 school year.