Venezuela

datsyukian

Venezuela

Post by datsyukian »

I'm moving down to Venezuela in July and was curious as to how the current political situation has affected those currently living down there. More specifically, teachers at international schools. Also any outside of the ordinary recommendations on what I should bring with me. Not my first time in South American but I've never been to Venezuela.
PacificSurf313-Kinder

Re: Venezuela

Post by PacificSurf313-Kinder »

Extremely difficult and dangerous country. The situation will definitely continue to get worse before it gets better.

Be very careful.
datsyukian

Post by datsyukian »

PacificSurf313 Have you lived there before or are you speculating?
Alexandru

Post by Alexandru »

I looked at a few blogs yesterday from foreigners who live or have lived in Venezuela, and they confirm what the previous poster said. Here are two quotes from one of those blogs (posted in February this year):

"The feeling of insecurity is not based on stories from the news; it is based on the fact that my friends have been robbed in so many different parts of the city at any hour of the day. When I walk outside, or when I take the bus or even when I take a taxi, I am always alert. I know who is behind me at all times and constantly taking precautions no matter what I am doing. The insecurity is definitely the hardest thing to deal with living here."

"The food stores lack the basic groceries like toilet paper, milk, butter, oil, flower, soap and the list goes on. This forces people to get in line whenever a store receives these products. The stores puts restrictions on how many products one person can buy. This consequently makes entire families go to the supermarket during work and school hours in order to get food on the table. I have not been in the supermarket the last two months because every time I am there the line continues around the building."
PacificSurf313-Kinder

Post by PacificSurf313-Kinder »

datsyukian wrote:
> PacificSurf313 Have you lived there before or are you speculating?

I live here right now - want a selfie?
lgtallie

Post by lgtallie »

I live in a small city in Venezuela and my life is pretty great overall. I've now worked here for two years and will be returning to work in a larger city in August.

Yes, for people without access to dollars, life is very expensive and not very easy. However, most of us expats get paid in dollars so we therefore have access to more resources than your average person on the street. Yes, it is difficult to find certain things and you are kinda forced to be a hoarder because you buy a lot of certain products when you see them or else you might be doing without those products for a few months (toilet paper, milk, coffee, soap, laundry soap, sugar, flour, etc.). Many parents at my current school own stores so if you tell the school secretary that you need something (chicken and toilet paper are two things that she has helped me find) then she usually contacts one of the parents and we buy things in bulk to last a few months.

The Venezuelan people I know are very welcoming and warm. I have made many friends here and I usually feel safe. I don't use public transportation and I don't go out at night by myself. I also don't go walking...anywhere really. While this is not the life I envisioned for myself, I make it work and I think the pros outweigh the cons.

I'm working on writing up a packing list, but some things that I plan on bringing back in August are: peanut butter, cooking spices, a good pan for cooking (all of the pans I have brought here are quickly falling apart). Also, quality bedding and nice towels are hard to find. A cardigan to wear inside the school because the AC is always on high to beat the heat outside. Polo shirts and button up dress shirts are popular for guys. Skinny pants and skirts are popular for ladies. Even though it is hot year round, most people over the age of 13 don't seem to wear shorts. High heels and nice shoes for guys are popular.

Sometimes I just try to create my own solutions like making my own coconut milk: http://teachingwanderlust.com/2014/05/1 ... onut-milk/ haha. Good luck!
Rover

Post by Rover »

Venezuela is a dangerous country, and Caracas is VERY dangerous. Yes, I know from personal experience and furthermore know plenty of other people that have lived there and left as soon as their contract was over, glad to have saved some money and gotten the hell out.

It's a shame, as it is such a great country in many ways and with so much potential, but it is a dangerous, violent place. That's just a verifiable fact. Check out the murder rates. It's not speculation or hyperbole. However, people move there and live a good life it's true.

Just make sure you are going in there with your eyes open, though.