Korea International School

herewecome

Korea International School

Post by herewecome »

I am moving to Korea and accepted a position at KIS. Does anyone have any information about this school? It seems really great and the administration seem wonderful too! What tier would this school be considered? What type of possibilities will be open to me after teaching here?

For people who have lived in Korea...any information about the culture, the people, the language?

Thanks!
fine dude

Re: Korea International School

Post by fine dude »

As long as you are at a decent school, the rest depends on your initiative. Raise the bar, teach like a pro, showcase your student work on a blog / website, use tech to teach lessons creatively, master differentiation in the classroom, document your students' accomplishments (not just grades). Your awesomeness will fetch you the grand prize.
thatguy

Post by thatguy »

Hi Herewecome,

KIS is a good school. Its number 2 school in Korea after SFS according to most sources. The main campus is in Panyo, which is right outside a Bundang. The area is clean, safe, and very accommodating to foreigners. I don't know much about the smaller campus. I have been to the main campus a few times when I was teaching at a different school in Korea back in 2010-2012 and the campus seemed to be well stocked. My friends that have worked there were happy with the working conditions. Apartments won't be amazing but they are more than adequate.

Korea in general is pretty easy for expats. Language is hard to learn, but you can get by with the very basics. The locals reaction to you will vary greatly. Lots of people will want to practice their English, which got annoying at times. Overall I liked living there. I would go back.

Good luck.
hmmmm

Post by hmmmm »

There are 2 KIS campuses…one is in Pangyo as mentioned and the other on Jeju (an island off the south coast of the Korean peninsula). Very different in terms of environment - urban vs rural. Both have a decent reputation with the Jeju school being much newer, currently finishing up year 3.
Briz

Post by Briz »

I have a few friends that worked there, and they tell me quite a bit of the old crowd is out, but that it is still a very fun place. I also have a friend who is joining in the Fall, and they are excited. The culture at KIS is that everyone works very hard and plays hard, is well resourced and it is a fun place to work. I have heard various reports about the head, but that will not normally affect the daily workings of a teachers life. I would look forward to it with a huge smile, it will be fun, and look great on your resume!

Good luck