Chances of landing a decent job?

slashnunn

Chances of landing a decent job?

Post by slashnunn »

My fiance is a licensed teacher in California with 10 years experience.

I have a non-teaching masters degree and 2 years teaching experience in Thailand and Korea, but no teaching credential.

Any idea what type of jobs we'd be able to get?
fine dude

Re: Chances of landing a decent job?

Post by fine dude »

You'd be more specific about your fiance's experience (IB /AP) and your countries of choice.

Signing up with Search and attending their job fair can really help. However, if he is a high-needs subject teacher (IB math, physics / BC Calculus), getting a Skype interview or even, an early job offer from one of the established schools is very likely. Depending on the admin and the school's location (some education ministries are very strict about certification requirements for issuing a work permit), some might accommodate you and some may not. Getting certified will definitely help you in the long run.

Here are the most competitive countries even for veteran teachers in terms of finding a job at an established (Tier 1) IB / AP school:
Singapore, Thailand (Bangkok), Japan (Tokyo), Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Belgium (Brussels), and the Netherlands (Amsterdam and the Hague)

Here are the others where you could relatively save more, but may be less competitive (with the exceptions being ISKL, TAS and JIS):
Malaysia, Indonesia, Taiwan, Vietnam, Brunei, Latvia, Poland (avoid AS Warsaw), Bulgaria, and Romania
SpedMaestro

Post by SpedMaestro »

FineDude, why avoid Warsaw? It seems like a top rate school to me.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

We should put a "What are my chances" thread pinned at the top of the forum.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

@SpedMaestro
It was, not anymore. Too much parental interference, no job security, spineless leadership, lack of resources, no clear admission policy all make up a lethal pedagogical cocktail.
sid

Post by sid »

Even better, someone should make an app that asks key questions (qualifications, time frame, family, etc) and spits out best, ost likely, and worst scenarios.
Any app writers out there?