At A Crossroads And Would Love Some Advice

NuestroJuan

At A Crossroads And Would Love Some Advice

Post by NuestroJuan »

Teachers,

Greetings. I hope the spring semesters and possible job searches are treating you all well. As my current work gets closer and closer to ending, I'm hoping to get some insight from you all about any of the concerns I have. I'm sorry if I end up asking questions that have already been posted time and again in this forum (That's probably going to happen.)

I'm twenty-eight and have been teaching abroad for a little over five years, since I graduated from university. What started out as a twenty-seven-month volunteer gig with the US Peace Corps in Azerbaijan has resulted in three additional years outside my home country. After completing my Peace Corps service (sorry to any non-Americans unfamiliar with the program), I worked for a bit over two years at English First in Baku, Azerbaijan, and now I'm teaching at a similar language school called Premium English in Kazan, Russia.

Basically, I've done a good job putting off my "inevitable" return to the United States for a few years. I've certainly enjoyed myself and gained some valuable experience teaching ESL. However, these days, I'm seriously considering what I should do in the long-term, and international school teaching has sparked my interest for some time now.

Now, before I delve into whether or not I'm qualified for such teaching (and how to go about getting qualified), I would just like to ask any of you how this commitment to a career abroad has treated you. I can adapt to different places and rather enjoy it. However, I'm also in my late twenties, and things like marriage and family are on my mind, as well. I have trouble conceptualizing what it would be like to raise a family abroad. I have an idea, but I, of course, wouldn't know until I experienced it myself. In addition, being single, I tend to wonder about the prospects of meeting a potential spouse abroad and starting a life together. On the other hand, I believe my perspective on this is a bit skewed since my experience in foreign countries has been limited to four and a half years in a conservative Muslim country with a (It seemed.) somewhat small expat community and just a handful of months in this provincial Russian city I'm not planning to stay in.

Anyway, those issues are connected to personal life, and if anyone could provide some input, that would be great. If not, that's fine, too.

Next, I'm wondering where I stand as a potential candidate for international school jobs. I have a bachelor's (I studied Spanish.), did a few international internships during and just after university (Don't think those will help, though.), and have about five years of English teaching experience. In the Peace Corps, I was a TEFL volunteer working with local public school teachers, and in Baku, and here in Kazan, I've just been teaching ESL to young learners and adults.

Now, I'm well aware that international school teaching is a different ballgame from what I've been doing. Nonetheless, I'm up for it, work well with teenagers (I've taught mainly middle and high school aged students.), and have had positive results thus far. That said, with summer around the corner and my next year wide open, what steps would you all recommend I take? Off the top of my head, I can think of two options, though I'm sure there's no "one way" to do it.

Firstly, I could spend the next year getting qualified. I understand that, though it isn't essential at every school, being a certified teacher in your home country helps. What's a practical way to go about doing this? I'm from Texas. Would I need to travel back there and get certified, or do you all recommend certification programs in other states/countries? I'm sure there are a lot of them. How long would it take? A year? Two years? Less than a year? I'm sure this also varies, depending on what kind of certification a person wants, which brings me to my next question.

With my bachelor's in Spanish, ESL cert, and experience, what could I potentially teach? Would it be possible to get certified in another subject, such as history or math? I'm sure that would be risky, because I might hate teaching other subjects, but, still, I'm curious, since it would be convenient to be able to teach what's in demand. I studied Spanish in university, but I haven't used the language in years, and I've never taught it. Is there some potential there?

My second option would be to try to get a job at a private/international school without a teaching certificate to experience that school atmosphere before I pursue the career further. In Azerbaijan, for example, a friend of mine has been teaching at a private school without a certificate simply because he was at the right place at the right time when they were hiring. I'm aware of the fact that it's not absolutely essential in every case, and, in reality, a certificate is only as good as the teacher who has it.

That said, do you all have any advice on schools that will hire teachers with my background? I know it's almost May, so time is ticking away, but it's not uncommon for schools to hire in spring and summer. I live in Russia, so perhaps there are some schools in Moscow or other cities that will take me. I'm just not sure. Any pointers would be great.

I'll stop here. Sorry to burden you all with this slew of questions. If anything is unclear, let me know. If anyone has insight on any of the things I've mentioned here, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much for reading. Take care, and have a good rest of the week.
MedellinHeel

Re: At A Crossroads And Would Love Some Advice

Post by MedellinHeel »

Get your license ASAP. That is the main thing you need for a career teaching in International Schools.

As for everything else it's all situational. Nothing is set in stone. Can only go on probabilities. And for a newb teacher that might include having to rough out a few years at a lower tier school getting that all important experience.

Your ESL experience won't count for much. Your degree is in Spanish so at best you could get a Spanish license and try to be a Spanish teacher.

I wouldn't recommend that though. Pick a subject and grade level you wish to teach. Get licensed and gain experience, contacts, and connections. The rest will take care of itself.
jayhawk

Post by jayhawk »

I'm still working on a proper certification myself so I can't speak to the job, but as for getting your state license UT has a good alt cert program. They also list the course requirements for each specialization on their website which is helpful if you want to compare your transcripts to the different areas and find the best match. I have no idea what your subject area would be. Another option is the Teacher Ready program out of FL. I found this to be the best fit for me because I wasn't forced to take a bunch of superfluous history and economy courses to help establish "mastery" of my area (social studies). Instead, I was rewarded for my life long interest in these subjects and simply had to pass the test (in addition to a related degree). To meet the requirements of the state I am in would have required me to go back to school for three years! It sounds like one of these programs would work for you.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

not sure i read your comment right, but I am doing the TR program as well. you do not need a related degree. any degree will suffice. just speaking of the TR program that is.
jayhawk

Post by jayhawk »

I think for the TR program any degree is fine. But, I vaguely recall seeing somewhere on the FL DOE website that a related degree was necessary for the initial license. Maybe that had something to do with getting a temp license, prior to passing the test, to work in FL while doing an alt cert program. This kind of rings a bell.
BigPapi

Post by BigPapi »

Hi "Juan,"

I have to disagree with some of the previous posters. I have worked in three international schools, as well as a very well-regarded private school in the US, without certification. Since private (independent) schools in the US generally don't require certification, and it is possible to get international teaching jobs without certification (your lack of experience is going to be much more of a barrier than your lack of certification), I'd say the only reason to get certified is if you want to pursue a career in public school teaching when you return to the US. And if you want to teach in independent schools, it's much better to have an MA in your subject area than an education degree.

My advice would be to apply now for any teaching jobs you believe you could do well, even if you don't exactly have the qualifications listed in the job ad, knowing that the later in the year it gets, the more schools will be willing to stretch a bit on their wish list for candidates. Since you speak Spanish, Latin American schools may be interested in you--and as you'll gather from reading this site, as they tend to pay less, they sometimes hire newer/younger teachers, so that can be a great way to get your foot in the door. You may not end up in the most desirable location, but it sounds like you're an adventurous sort.

I think you'll find that Peace Corps experience is very valued--lead with that! It's evidence of a lot of qualities that make for a good international teacher.

As for meeting a mate--well, all the single expat teachers at your school and in whatever city you live in are going to be looking to mingle. The expats you meet are probably more likely to share your spirit of travel and adventure than the folks in your hometown--it's easy to meet kindred souls when you have such a big thing in common. And luckily for you, your biological clock is barely ticking anyway. To be 28 again!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I disagree with BigPapi. Be careful about not being certified. Many countries have tightened up on certification requirements and the big schools, unless your spouse is in a high needs area or you can prove exceptionalism and value added, won't touch you at all.

Get certified. Do it in something other than Spanish because there are fewer Spanish teaching jobs out there than say, humanities, English, math, science, business and marketing, etc. Do it in a subject you actually are interested in and have a passion for. If you like working with younger students, train for ES certification - male elementary teachers are more employable than female ones, because they give that male presence in a mainly female division.

Go to uni, meet a girl, sound out her values, goals, beliefs on many topics, flexibility, etc and if you are very compatible, get married. It is easier to find jobs as a teaching couple, especially if your spouse teaches a high-needs area like chem-physics or HS math and calculus.

While it is true that some good international schools will hire teachers who are not certified, usually it is because they are already in country with their spouse, or because they have a masters and some experience. Again, in my years teaching overseas, this is the exception and there is no guarantee that you will get a position when you leave that school.

As to raising a family overseas, our children were 3 and 6 when we went overseas and they lived in four countries, and traveled to some 20+ countries before flying the coop after graduation. They see the world in a different way than kids back home, and have a broader and deeper understanding of the world than if they had stayed home. They also have friends globally located whom they have been fortunate enough to visit with.

Just my 2 cents - take it for what it is worth!
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

Yea get certified first. Then gain experience. Build contacts and connections.

Presto
Micky

Post by Micky »

I agree, certification is the only way to go if your serious about a career in international schools. Unless you don't mind being stuck in a third tier school.
josephine

Post by josephine »

I went through Teacher Ready and I didn't have a related degree for my certification area...you just have to pass your subject content exam
chemteacher101

Post by chemteacher101 »

Bad schools in some countries might not have a problem with you not being certified. In other countries schools may not care, but due to immigration policies they would not be able to provide you with a work visa. Other schools will care, a lot, and will not even consider you without being licensed.

I do have to say though, that I find all of this very ironic. Schools and countries set this requirement thinking that this sets a minimum standard when in fact, as it has just been commented, there's a lot of certified teachers who have a background in pretty much anything other than education, do an online program, study for a test, and just like that, they get certified...
josephine

Post by josephine »

chemteacher101 wrote:
> Bad schools in some countries might not have a problem with you not being
> certified. In other countries schools may not care, but due to immigration
> policies they would not be able to provide you with a work visa. Other
> schools will care, a lot, and will not even consider you without being
> licensed.
>
> I do have to say though, that I find all of this very ironic. Schools and
> countries set this requirement thinking that this sets a minimum standard
> when in fact, as it has just been commented, there's a lot of certified
> teachers who have a background in pretty much anything other than
> education, do an online program, study for a test, and just like that, they
> get certified...

I'm not sure of any programs that are as easy as you say. For anyone interested, Teacher Ready is a vigorous online program and requires student teaching and mentoring. There is a strong emphasis on coaching and mentoring by their instructors and your school-based mentor. I have worked in public and private school systems for several years, and have a minor in ed, but none of that matched what I learned from TR. Because of that online program, I prepare outcomes based lesson plans, use data to monitor and track student progress, reflect on my teaching and my student's learning, and all those great things that a great teacher should do. TR is a great program! Additionally the state of FL requires successful completion of an alternative certification program, supervised teaching hours, professional practice exams, general education exam, and content exams as well as a background check to become certified. If you don't know your content area, you can't simply study and pass the content exam as it is an application based exam not theoretical. I am not aware of any state in the USA in which teacher certification is easy.
Last edited by josephine on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
josephine

Post by josephine »

For clarification, when I said you don't need a related degree, you just need to pass the content exam, I did not mean that was the only requirement for certification! I simply was stating that you can get certified in an area other than your major if you pass the content exam for that field (plus all the other requirements from your alternative certification program and the state DOE).