ESF or IS Manila

leayas

ESF or IS Manila

Post by leayas »

If one were to be offered both schools, which one would be the best choice for savings purposes.

I have researched both schools, know what their salary and package structure is. ESF slaries are great but package is basic in the extreme and ISManila looks like a great package but salary seems kind of low.

I was hoping anyone with any insights could let me know what they think. ASAP would be good as a decision is going to be required soon.

Cheers.
anlily

Post by anlily »

I had an interview with IS Manila and one thing I remember that they said during the interview is that the salary is low but it's tax free. Manila also offers a whole slew of bonus and extra features. The person I interviewed with said that a lot of people end up buying an iPod or something like that with their settling in allowance since all the apartments are practically fully furnished.

I don't know much about ESF. But congrats on both job offers!

Make a pro-con list, taking into consideration all the extra perks and factors about living both places and cost of living and look at it that way. Congrats again! I'm sure you'll make the best decision for you!
GHK

ESF

Post by GHK »

I have worked for ESF and the salary is more than adequate. You can easily save 40 000US/year if you're single, have more than 10 years experience and you don't go on crazy spending sprees. Although there are currently serious issues because of a subsidy cut from the government, the staff and admin are very professional and the students are great.
leayas

Post by leayas »

Thanks very much for your replies.
garnettulip

Post by garnettulip »

Hi,

I have also worked for the ESF (8 years) and I have been to Manila (but not worked there -- although some of my friends do) many times. Despite what you currently believe of the ESF package compared to the Manila package, I guarantee thet if you were to live on equal standards in both places (i.e. eat out the same amount, travel the same amount etc.) you would still save MUCH more money in Hong Kong with the ESF than at IS Manila. AND you would probably have a MUCH more fun social life in Hong Kong than in Manila. There is more to do in HK, more to see and a bigger expat community. Travel around SE Asia is also easier out of Hong Kong than Manila.