TESOL Portland a Total Bust

MidTMike

TESOL Portland a Total Bust

Post by MidTMike »

Well, at least for job recruitment.

I have a BA, a Masters and just finished the CELTA in NYC. I was told there would be tons of opportunities here. That is not correct. The registration fee was nearly 500 USD. If you are an experienced educator, it might be great to go to the workshops, classes, etc. But, I was told it was the biggest job fair in USA. That is not accurate and the people that are interviewing here are shady to say the least. A big waste of cash and a bigger disappointment.

I have 5 years of full-time teaching experience but that was 15 years back. I went to law school and opened a business. After going back to reopen my certification (successful) I then took the CELTA in NYC and thought I'd start putting myself out there.

What a waste this TESOL job fair has been.

Now what? How do I get my foot in the door for an International School position?
newchapter

Re: TESOL Portland a Total Bust

Post by newchapter »

Search Associates still has some job fairs. I think they are the best. Some may disagree, but I had a great experience with them. Search and ISS, I think, are the top two recruiting agencies on the international circuit. The heavy recruiting was in January but there are probably last minute cancellations of contracts. People drop out or don't go for various reasons. I need to reread your post...are you looking to teach ESL or regular classroom teaching?
Rye

Post by Rye »

There are positions still open - and a few more will open up when people cancel or switch schools around last minute etc. ISS and Search are good, also check out JoyJobs and actually search around and visit the pages of some schools. They post openings there often in the HR or Staff catagories.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

What is your license in? Sounds as if you are talking about oral English (TESOL, CELTA, etc)

Might not be the right forum for you if you lack an state certified ESL teaching license (not a CELTA, TEFL, etc)