Non-teaching partner

Taurus

Non-teaching partner

Post by Taurus »

Ok. My TESL teaching career has taken me to many countries. I am now completing my B.Ed and hope to continue to live in and explore the different areas of the world. Like many others, during my adventures abroad I met a (Latin) man and we are planning to build a future together. My question is this... Will having a non-teaching partner ( maybe in future spouse) seriously limit my abiities to find a job abroad? I do love him but having to stay in Canada all my life seriously pops my bubble.
interteach

Post by interteach »

Deleted
Last edited by interteach on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Traveller1

Post by Traveller1 »

Hi Taurus

I have a non-teaching spouse (a wife) but no kids. I've been teaching 'overseas' for 13 years.

In my experience (2 job fairs and too many e.mail enquiries/ applications to count) many, many international schools would prefer not to hire me because of the cost factor - extra airfare, larger accommodation and extra medical cover. For many Directors it's simply a question of Bottom Line, nothing less, nothing more.

However, if you 'box clever' you'll find a job overseas. There are several key issues that determine where you work:
1a] If you're applying for a job at this time of the year (Dec to Apr) you'll be up against stiff competition from married couples and singles. So if you're hoping to get into a 'recognised' international school in London, Paris, Moscow etc you might be disappointed.
1b] It depends on where you're happy to work - your application will be more competitive if you're willing to go to less popular places.

2] You stand a better chance of finding the job of your dreams if you are able and willing to wait until May. Schools tend become less picky later in the recruiting season because they have teaching positions to fill.

3] Your application is also stronger if you target schools that use the curriculum that you've trained in. That's not to say you can't cross over but British schools have a preference for teachers who are trained and experienced with the UK Nat. Curr. Same goes for US and Canadian. I've worked in schools using UK, US and IB currcula, but I wasn't first choice candidate.

Finally, if you approach the process with your eyes open, do your homework, target the areas where your application will be strongest, and are realistic, you should have no difficulty finding a job.