How do you avoid rude people?

neveah

How do you avoid rude people?

Post by neveah »

I am a newbie. I would like to make a career out of teaching overseas, so I have been doing a lot of research. I have joined a couple of websites, and I have even emailed a few people. Some people have been helpful.

Unfortunately, some people have not been helpful at all. They are condescending, self-righteous and just plain ignorant. I've heard that traveling makes people more open-minded and less judgemental, so I am surprised at this type of behavior. I don't know what's wrong with these people. They have traveled all around the world and they don't appreciate it? They also belittle and ridicule newbies. What is that all about? If you don't want to help, then just ignore us and go on with your miserable little lives.

It looks like I'll still have to put up with this mess as long as I am working overseas. Can I find a positive way to avoid these people when I finally have to work overseas?
adminpaul

Postings Removed

Post by adminpaul »

We have removed all posts of the person posing as a member of the ISR administration group and blocked their use of the forum in the future. We have also removed any responses to this post and in one case an entire thread in which this person participated. Thank you in advance for your understanding.

Ben @ ISR
neveah

Post by neveah »

:shock:

I didn't want to get rid of anybody. The members of this website have been polite and helpful. I just wanted some good advice about how to deal with negative people because I know that I will have to deal with this sooner or later.
guest9

How to deal with Rude People

Post by guest9 »

Hi Neveah.

Unfortunately, some international educators are very condescending, smug, and mean-spirited. I'm with you, you would think it would be just the opposite, but it is not. It is not a matter of if you will encounter these know it alls, but when. Some of the responses I've viewed on this web site as well have been considerably less than helpful. As you suggested, they forget from whence they came; that they, too, were once 'clueless newbies'.

While teaching overeas, find the few folks that you can trust and develop more than superficial friendships with, and cherish and nurture the relationship. Be careful whom you trust is good advice, but especially overseas. You don't have the same avenues of recourse that you do in the Western world.

How to handle rude people? Keep a respectful distance from them, let them be, and remember that you can only control your reactions, not their actions. Don't get sucked in.

All the best to you.