Interview question

canadian_inabox

Interview question

Post by canadian_inabox »

Greetings all, new member here and really glad to have found this informative site. I have a question in regards to an interview I have coming up in a couple of days, the interview will be via Skype and I have done that in the past no problem, but the head of HR at the school has asked for what he termed "mock teaching. I have the options for either during the interview or record a video of myself and upload it to Youtube? I have 7 years of teaching experience in 2 different countries and have never had this type of request. Any insight, advice or suggestions that anyone can give here? The job is for a lower secondary level English position.
HereThereEverywhere

Re: Interview question

Post by HereThereEverywhere »

Given the options, I say do it via skype since that will most likely be what you are used to in terms of a, "So this thing happens in your classroom, what do you do?" sort of thing whereas if you record yourself and present that you will be giving them and you something to - to no end. Of course, if you have something you are comfortable with already, just go with that.
Yes, I have had a similar request. I have actually flown to the country/school (just a couple hours) and taught a lesson to real students in the school in order to get a job.
Rye

Post by Rye »

I think I would rather film it. I could do it in my classroom with my materials, and I could play off student interaction.

Also, teaching a lesson via skype seems to introduce a lot of possibility for technical difficulties. Mics or not being able to hear or see well or shoddy connection. Maybe you could prepare an intro to the lesson you could do via skype from your chair and then let them watch the video?

I had a request to do this way back when I first started teaching in the early 2000's but the video has just sat collecting dust for its lifetime...right next to my "new teacher portfolio" they requested I create.

Whatever you are most comfortable with.
canadian_inabox

So two differing opinions both making excellent points, I thought about and asked if it was possible to set up a cam in my current real classroom to film a real lesson and was told that would be fine. But I see a few problems with that, there are constant interruptions by admin, hall monitors, other teachers etc during the day, also I am currently very unhappy where I am teaching now and basically looking for another school to join next August, my contract ends and I dont want admin finding out about this as they will be very unhappy I am sure.
Mr.C4ke

Post by Mr.C4ke »

Tell your current school if they ask about the recorded lesson that it's for PD/reflection/evidence of learning etc.

I've had to do a demo lesson before. Didn't enjoy it. From my experience the better schools will respect your professionalism by NOT asking you. Each to his own.

I refused one school who I really wasn't interested in by replying, "If I was applying for the position of brain surgeon, would you insist I gave a demo operation or trust my qualifications and relevant experience?"
dover2013

Post by dover2013 »

Do the skype. Not sure why anyone would want to watch a contrived videod lesson. Not sure about the skype either though but my guess is they will be more impressed by it if you come across well.
lgtallie

Post by lgtallie »

I like the idea of using my own classroom for the lesson and just uploading the video to youtube. This way schools can see how you interact with students, classroom management, and teaching style in general. We also have very slow internet in my part of Venezuela so it makes using Skype rather difficult.
canadian_inabox

So the interview took place this morning, very early in my part of the world around 5 am, the lesson I dont think went well, I was given a 10 minute time limit and I am very sure it didnt get there. It was very awkward doing a demo lesson in front of one person on Skype, I really hope this didnt torpedo my chances at this school as I was comfortable answering the other questions, I was told I would be informed of their decision by the end of the week, now the wait is the hardest part.
Rye

Post by Rye »

Sounds like that would be awkward for most anyone. Don't give up on your chances, I am sure they were looking less for content and more for your personality and delivery etc.

Good luck with the waiting game - keep us posted!
StereoTyped

Post by StereoTyped »

Wow, kudos to you for even playing ball. I think I would automatically lose respect for a school if they asked me to do that.
Hope you got an offer and that it's the position you want!
canadian_inabox

I'm still waiting for an answer from the school, I contacted them a little over 10 days ago and was told they're still interviewing for that week. Although it would be awesome to get a position there, I'm very much certain that I didn't get it due to the length of time that has passed.
Rye

Post by Rye »

They would hopefully let you know if you got the job at the same time they would notify you if you didn't. If they aren't professional enough to do that you should be thankful you didn't end up working for them. Don't get too worried - they haven't told you it isn't yours so that means you're still in the running. Good luck!
canadian_inabox

Well I got the news yesterday and didnt get the job, I am disappointed definitely but look at it as a learning experience, still going to apply to other postings and hoping to get something for next September. As for the late timing, well I have been working in the Middle East since last August and I have learned that in some parts of the world things are done at a much slower pace. Back to applying and hoping.