ACS Beirut?

lightstays

ACS Beirut?

Post by lightstays »

Let's say I wasn't concerned about the Syrian conflict spilling over the border at the moment and turning Lebanon into chaos. Anyone have the latest on ACS? Admin? Salaries/package? Cost of living?
Peregrination

Re: ACS Beirut?

Post by Peregrination »

I interviewed with them at Cambridge, and turned down an offer. We liked the head, although he doesn't have much international experience (only two years abroad; decades of US private school experience). It is also located in an absolutely beautiful location (the Mediterranean is across the street!) and housing is provided.

The real issue is with the salary and the students. They were very upfront in saying that their students are mostly local and wealthy, so the school feels much more Lebanese than international. Got a lot of questions about how to motivate the local population to do well in school. That is not what we were looking for in an international school (our new school has students from all over the world), so we passed on it.

The salary is also pretty low; As I recall, between $25,000-$27,000 US, and it is taxed on top of that. That would be a pay cut from our rather paltry salaries in the states, so again, it was a no-go for us because we have debt in the US. I'm not sure about the cost of living, but from what I heard, living on $25,000 would be tight.

If that were my only offer, I would have seriously considered accepting it, though. You can get some international experience and live in a beautiful location for a couple of years. Plenty of things could happen with Syria (or Israel), but there are lots of other areas (Ukraine, Venezuela, etc) that are in much worse shape right now.
exnewyorker

Post by exnewyorker »

Lebanese kids a great to teach. They participate in class, they have opinions, they like to talk. (My kind of students). The salary in Lebanon might not be the highest, but it's enough to live well, save a bit, and travel. Of course it depends on the individual and what expenses they have back home. The quality of life in Beirut is great especially considering housing and school are within walking distance. Also there is the Mediterranean sea right there. If you want to live in a great neighborhood right in the middle of bars, restaurants, cafes, bookstores, etc. and still be near to school, you'll love Beirut. The principal at the middle school is great, I'm not personally familiar with the others.
exnewyorker

Post by exnewyorker »

Also, taxes aren't high as a previous poster stated. When I worked in Lebanon my salary was half of my NYC salary but after U.S. taxes were taken out and all things such as utilities, transportation, housing, etc. considered, my Lebanese salary was equal to or greater than my U.S. salary.
lightstays

Post by lightstays »

Thanks, all. I get the low cost of living that a place like Beirut guarantees but anything under 30k is ridiculous. You would make more working at Popeye's in the US.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

lightstays wrote:
> Thanks, all. I get the low cost of living that a place like Beirut
> guarantees but anything under 30k is ridiculous. You would make more
> working at Popeye's in the US.

The low cost of living that Beirut guarantees? Beirut DOES NOT have a low cost of living. Whoever told you this is either lying or has never visited. The salary/cost of living ratio is probably one of the worst in the world (ask any Lebanese).

You would only do ok as a teaching couple. If you have debts back home, or just have financial goals that you are serious about, don't even think about it. However, it is a fascinating place to be if you value the whole experience of it all over the money, and I do agree somewhat with the post above about the quality of life.
clio

Post by clio »

lightstays should probably continue working at Popeye's if working for under 30 sounds so awful.
Does Popeye's pay your health insurance? Housing? Provide annual homeleave? I taught at ACS Beirut
for six years and found much to recommend, even with car bombings, war with Israel, and power
outages. Fantastic location, wonderful food, lovely people, fun students.
Next posting will be in the Americas. Net salary under 30 but my wife and I expect to save at least one salary.
Great kids, lovely housing, annual homeleave. I would much prefer to have less stress and more fulfillment
than big bucks, harassing parents, and idiotic administrators.