PYP/MYP/IB

beijing2003

Post by beijing2003 »

As someone who is about to teach PYP for the 1st time, you're making me nervous;)

I must admit that the word of mouth from PYP teachers I have worked with is really positive; MYP, on the other hand, is another case altogether.
Traveller1

Post by Traveller1 »

It depends, in part, on how you find the PYP methodology and how long the school has been doing the PYP. If you are having to start creating new units and the school isn't particularly well resourced it can be difficult.

It will also depend on your PYP Coordinator and Primary Principal. There are some really good, honest, principled, authentic professionals out there. However, unfortunately, you may have the misfortune to be saddled with someone who is into appearances, doesn't tolerate dissent, wants to complete a Self Study in one staff meeting by having you agree with all the boxes s/he has checked etc. etc. Challenger describes the situation quite well. If you are a 'team player' and 'collaborative' you should have no problem. If not, well...

I hope you end up with one of the authentic professionals, and wish you all the best for the next two years.
challenger

Thanks for your question "lifeisnotsobad"

Post by challenger »

Hi There,

I am now currently working in my second PYP school. You may ask why someone who clearly detests the PYP programme is still working in a PYP school, and why indeed did they choose to do PYP in two schools running. (if the truth be known, I am taking the IBO down... from the inside!)

No seriously..... My first experience with PYP was so shocking I cannot put it into words without writing a 15,000 word dissertation on the bizarre practices, arrogance, nastiness, poor educational practice that became my induction into PYP.

I had heard from other people it is not that bad "really". I believe it fully depends on who is implementing the programme. I fully believe PYP can work as an amazing educational philosophy if you do not forget that your job is still that of "TEACHER"... Children cannot learn everything for themselves, also do not forget many students in PYP schools are EFL students, therefore they require a lot of extra support and implicit language teaching.

I saw out my two year contract out and moved onto a different PYP school in a new country (after initially voicing my concerns about my first PYP school I was reassured that was a one off situation). At my new school I was met with the same issues (e.g. no Language, Maths curriculum, no accountability for teachers, and students who were arriving in my class who could not string a basic written sentence together ... and I am talking about my high achievers here).

I have so many friends who are international school teachers who I have visted over the years, and wether they are working in independent schools, ICP schools, Candian Schools, British, American etc, international schools, the quality of work students can produce, their basic manners, their questioning & inquiry skills are ALWAYS far superior to those of students I have taught in two (apparently "leading") PYP schools.

Lets face it people, it doesn't work, it is just a load of jargon, gobblydegook (spelling???? Although I know you PYP teachers don't believe in teaching spelling), and tree hugging nonsense. Also don't forget the IBO is a "FOR PROFIT" organisation which is just making money off claiming itself to be a truly international education tool (hmmm I think "tool" is the operative word).

The IBO and its accredited schools just always seem to be full of not particularly nice people (usually lacking in basic people skills) but they are always such egomaniacs.... They enjoy the prestige of working for the IBO, the jetting off to Geneva or Bangkok to run a waste of time workshop.... I have really found that "real" teachers, who knuckle down, work hard for their students, challenge them, and focus themselves on their students learning are the ones vilified in the PYP (p.s. I am talking "real" learning here... not blah blah fluffy wuffy tree hugging pyp learning).

Honestly belive me... I have seen both sides of the fence (I have spent a lot of time on each side). I want students to reach their individual potential, be all that they can, yet feel safe and secure in their learning environment. While PYP students may always seem happy.... the larger questions looms.... "ARE THEY BEING CHALLENGED?"

All the best, Merry Christmas all and I hope all of you have a fantastic new year filled with [u][b]inquiry[/b][/u], displaying your [u][b]knowledge[/b][/u], being a [u][b]thinker[/b][/u], proving yourself to be a good [u][b]communicator[/b][/u], being a [u][b]principled[/b][/u] person, showing that you are [u][b]open-minded[/b][/u], being [u][b]caring[/b][/u] to others, pushing the envelope and being a [u][b]risk-taker[/b][/u], [u][b]balancing[/b][/u] your life and remembering to take the time to be [u][b]reflective[/b][/u].

(remember life would feel quite limited if we could only describe ourselves using 10 words - imagine the limitation... the lack of scope!!! oh hang on a second, that is the Learner Profile.... what was I thinking?)

XXXXXXX
jeffofarabia

Post by jeffofarabia »

I took a job with my current school, the American International School Kuwait, to get IB training. They are willing to hire people who are inexperienced in the IB system. Look for them at the job fair.
puka2

Post by puka2 »

Challenger or others out there:
If a teacher is still feeling uncomfortable with PYP, and would prefer not to work for one, what/where do you suggest?
twinkletoes

Post by twinkletoes »

I couldn't agree with the comments that challenger has made regarding the pyp.

I recently resigned from a position at a school undergoing PYP accreditation due to the lack of respect that some of these "pyp worshippers" have for teachers who have different teaching styles.

There was no emphasis placed on academics and teaching kids the basics such as printing and writing were looked down upon.

At the school, teachers mentioned that they were 'losing themselves' due to the pressure that the existing teachers placed on them.

As someone who values self-dignity, I have refused to succumb to these kinds of pressures and politics that occur within a school system. For me, the PYP is nothing but ineffective. After my experience, I agree that an A-F system of reporting will do much more justice than all this tree hugging nonsense.
puka2

Post by puka2 »

Thanks!
I hear some people move on to a 2nd school and things are night and day. I am not convinced. It is a big commitment to sign with a school for 2 years hoping that pyp will be implemented with more common sense. I think you meant "couldn't agree with challenger more"?
Any suggestions for those of us that don't want to go to pyp schools?
twinkletoes

Post by twinkletoes »

^ hi puka,

Yes, I mean that "I couldn't agree with Challenger more".

With regards to other options instead of teaching at a PYP school, I would suggest looking at some international schools that have not yet been sucked into this IB cult of a phenomenon. There are still some out there: )

The other options is simply to stay in the public school system. Most of them do not embrace the IB program but do strive for more high academic standards.

Overall, I believe that you must do your research before joining a school, especially if it is an international school. There is nothing worse than moving halfway across the world and finding out that the environment is stifling and disrespectful.

I speak from a perspective where I have gone through hell and back TWICE with poor experiences at two of the international schools I have worked for. I think that as long as you have the emotional well beings of the students in mind, that is what counts. Not this PYP bs.