PYP/MYP/IB

teacher9

PYP/MYP/IB

Post by teacher9 »

I've been encountering a problem in my job hunt again and again and again and again...

I'm an elementary teacher with a solid resume, good references, and experience with inquiry based learning. I want to work at a PYP school, but every school I talk to refuses to hire teachers without PYP experience. How is anyone able to get PYP experience when all of the schools refuse to hire people who don't have it? Is anyone else coming across this problem? How do you get in the club?
neveah

Post by neveah »

I am also a newbie. I've done some research and this is what I have learned. I hope it helps.

Since you don't have experience, it might help if you were trained to teach IB. You can look on the IB website and find out if they have any workshops in your area. I don't know what the IBO link is, but I'm sure you can find it by using a search engine.

Apply for a job with a school that does not have an IB curriculum, such as a private school.

It is still early in the year, so many schools are still recruiting. If you have the time and the money, you can wait for a few months. If some schools still have vacancies during the spring/summer, they become desperate. They will be more flexible and bend the rules.

Keep asking everyone for information. If one person won't hire you, ask them "Who do you know, who is looking for someone with my qualifications?"
educator

PYP schools

Post by educator »

Agree with previous responses and also suggest you contact Search Associates, Chiang Mai branch, since they focus on recruiting for IB / PYP schools. Prepare yourself for a job fair though.
neveah

Post by neveah »

I have heard that Search Associates is not a reputable recruiting agency. Does the Chiang Mai branch treat the teachers fairly?
Healy

Post by Healy »

Where did you hear that Search are "not reputable"? What did they (not) do?
mexteacher

The integrity of Search Associates

Post by mexteacher »

I had a pretty bad experience with Search Associates. Seven years ago, I got screwed over pretty royally by Jim Ambrose. I was a new-to-the-international-sceen teacher at the time, and near as I can figure it, he slandered me to a higher profile school that was interested in me in order to steer me into taking a position at a small company school in a southeast Asian country. Then, he completely lied about almost every single aspect concerning the school and the principal. Two months into the school year when I broke contract and left the country due to safety reasons (and at the encouragement of the US Embassy), he had the balls to send me a letter requesting reimbursement for the fee he had to return to the school. Needless to say, I did not pay him. Search Associates and ISS are a necessary evil if you want to teach overseas. Just don't expect anyone at either organization to have YOUR best intrest at heart. We teachers bring in a pittance compared to the schools, so of course, the schools will be who the companies serve.
educator

Post by educator »

Doubtless the comments about the pros/cons of various recruiting agencies will continue. For a price, they will organize teachers & recruiters to be in one place - usually an up market hotel - at one time, theoretically saving the teacher time & money in running around to various interviews. But that's about all they do and needless to say what favors there are tend to be directed mainly towards the revenue producing recruiters. Unless you have large amounts of money to spend on overseas trips & hotels, it's preferable to confine your attendance at recruiting fairs to those scheduled closer to home. 'Search' British branch makes it quite clear that they skew their schools and candidates toward IB schools' needs - if that's what you seek. For most IB PYP schools, previous experience is useful, but by no means compulsory. The IB provides extensive workshops for teachers as in-service training. Suggest you contact the schools directly, armed with a relevant list from the IB and start from there. Despite all the supposed principles, at the end of the day the whole scene revolves largely around private enterprise and capitalist concepts - they're private schools - caveat emptor!
Traveller1

Post by Traveller1 »

Getting into the IB/PYP system is really difficult. It's rather like a closed club.

Why?
Although the IB does provide training, schools would rather not incur the expense training you. It also takes time to get to grips with the PYP which means as a newbie its difficult to make an effective contribution until you know your way around. The PYP is a very planning intensive system so your planning partners will be 'carrying you' for much of your first year.

In my experience you stand a better chance of getting in by joining a school thats in the process of becoming accredited, especially if they haven't even started the process because then everyone has to get training, or apply to PYP schools in locations that have difficulty recruiting any staff, let alone PYP trained staff. Colombia and Bangladesh come to mind.
enchiladas

Re: The integrity of Search Associates

Post by enchiladas »

[quote="mexteacher"]I had a pretty bad experience with Search Associates. Seven years ago, I got screwed over pretty royally by Jim Ambrose. I was a new-to-the-international-sceen teacher at the time, and near as I can figure it, he slandered me to a higher profile school that was interested in me in order to steer me into taking a position at a small company school in a southeast Asian country. Then, he completely lied about almost every single aspect concerning the school and the principal. Two months into the school year when I broke contract and left the country due to safety reasons (and at the encouragement of the US Embassy), he had the balls to send me a letter requesting reimbursement for the fee he had to return to the school. Needless to say, I did not pay him. Search Associates and ISS are a necessary evil if you want to teach overseas. Just don't expect anyone at either organization to have YOUR best intrest at heart. We teachers bring in a pittance compared to the schools, so of course, the schools will be who the companies serve.[/quote]

I'm curious which southeast Asian country you were steered toward. I was in one of those and had an awful experience. Was it Cambodia?
mexteacher

Which SE Asian country?

Post by mexteacher »

The country for me wasn't Cambodia; it was Indonesia. Sorry you had a bad experience too.
challenger

A very valid question

Post by challenger »

I agree totally with you! Breaking into an IB PYP school is a very difficult thing to do. I went to numerous jobs fairs... always getting knocked back because I had no PYP experience and at my 2nd fair I received the same response. I did confront one Director about this ongoing problem and I did manage to land a job at PYP school. If an organisation likes to give off this sense of "exclusivity" you really have to question their morals.

However that being said.... please do all the research you can on the PYP before joining a PYP school (especially a hardcore one). Really make sure that the PYP education philosophy is suited to you.

I have personally found working in a PYP school a very unsatisfying experience... again the classic IBO arrogance rears its ugly head, believing they are right and everyone else is wrong... especially in terms of educational philosophy.

They happily bash every other curriculum on the planet claiming theirs to be the finest... For people who are supposed to be inquirers and open-minded they all seem incapable of stepping back at critically looking at evaluating their own beliefs and philosophies.

The PYP is a student led curriculum which is great in many respects but many PYP teachers do seem to FORGET THAT THEY STILL HAVE A RESPONSIBILITY TO TEACH THE BASICS (mostly in English & Maths).

In my experience the PYP has been more about meetings, jargon, and experimenting with educational philosophies which were trendy in the early 80's. PYP schools seem to be full of egos who enjoy the sound of their own jargon filled voices.

The new PYP planner is 4 pages long (including 2 whole pages for reflection and no space to write your actual planned activities... that would be too restrictive to the student's learning.

If you are used to an academic programme which also incorporates varied teaching strategies and methods but also pushes for high standards then the PYP is probably not for you.

Again this only my opinion........
teacher9

Post by teacher9 »

I was the original poster who was frustrated with IB exclusivity, but I eventually got hired by an IB school. They are going through the certification process soon, which might be why it was easier to get a position, but my patience seems to have paid off.

As far as the curriculum, I like what I've read about PYP, but I will have to wait until next year to see what it's like. Until then I'll be getting to know my copy of "Making the PYP Happen."

Thanks for the advice/encouragement on this thread.
puka2

Post by puka2 »

I agree with the posting by Challenger completely. I worked at a PYP school going thru the accreditation process. I hated it. The coordinator was over the top and I was limited and told how I couldn't teach, but not exactly what to teach. I felt it was very elitist and did not focus on skills. Unfortuanately many schools are jumping on the pyp trend. If it seems to be something that you feel suits you, please note, the schools are obligated to train you and want to save money. You can't get the training without being hired. IBO gets really pissed when they are told candidates are blown off and caught in your same position. Good Luck
challenger

good to know I am not the only one....

Post by challenger »

Glad at least ONE person could respond to say that PYP does not work for them. Surely there should be a website for those suffering under this regime... I have seen so many excellent teachers who have arrived at our school and in the space of a few weeks have been told they are poor teachers by the our "so-called PYP Gods & Godesses."

The programme is a joke, and it is amazing how many parents (and good teachers) are not impressed with it. It really is like a cult, question it, and you will be vilified.

I better go before I rant further...... Just remember people, there is more to a child's education than an "inquiry cycle".... try a little something called "Explicit Reading and Writing", as well as being a teacher who is able to engage their class through Science, English, History..... etc.... Lets face it if you can't do that... you probably are a pretty poor teacher (therefore sign up for PYP where you can muddle through jargon, egos, nonsense and fluff..... at least you'll be comfortable).... xxx
lifeisnotsobad

Post by lifeisnotsobad »

Challenger...and how many PYP schools have you worked at?