Visible Tattoo

MidTMike

Visible Tattoo

Post by MidTMike »

I have a visible tattoo on my neck. :)

It is a butterfly and cute but I worry this will have an impact on getting a job. Any red flags here?
escapeartist

Re: Visible Tattoo

Post by escapeartist »

Is there a way to keep it covered? With hair or a shirt?

I would definitely hide it during any interviews. The dress code/tattoo policy will depend on the school, but I would accept the fact that you may work somewhere where it needs to be covered while on campus at all times, regardless of the weather.
Flyingpigs

Post by Flyingpigs »

I agree about keeping it covered. A turtleneck, or a scarf should work? While tattoos are less of a deal than they used to be, there are still some pretty conservative folks/schools out there. Better safe than sorry.
MidTMike

Post by MidTMike »

It would be impossible to cover with a scarf or shirt. It is small but in the middle of my neck close to my ear. :)

I stopped teaching about 15 years back and retired and started traveling. I got it on a late night in one country I was visiting and I like it but I didn't think I would ever work again. Financially, I am secure but the urge to get back into teaching has made me realize that perhaps the tattoo was a bad idea. :)

I am willing to have it laser removed but hard to tell a school, "hey, if you hire me, I'll have my tat removed." :)
wayout

Post by wayout »

Throw a band-aid on it, and tell the students you had a mole removed. After you are hired and arrive, you might find that your particular school has a very lenient "bad decision" policy! I know at my school we have staff members with visible tattoos. I would not mention it during the interview process.
Flyingpigs

Post by Flyingpigs »

Interesting discussion. There are some ppl who would not want to work at a school if they HAD to get their tattoo removed.
So I think that is the bigger question...would you want to work at school if you had to get your tattoo removed? Does that signify a certain conservative-ness that would transcend into other areas as well? Would you be comfortable there? Are you sacrificing your principles? etc etc etc.
It seems to me, that you are pretty flexible about that, and dont see this as a big Moral Issue. :)
Until you know where you stand, and where the school stands....the band-aid idea is a great idea, IMO.
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

I'm not sure I would try to keep it covered and then you get hired and "surprise"! That seems kind of deceitful in my opinion. I think you should just go to interviews as you are and see what happens. If you feel you had some great interviews at schools you like, but don't get an offer then call/email the hiring person directly and ask if that was the issue. If it is and you feel comfortable getting it removed then do so. Since you stated you are financially independent you could wait one more year if you don't get something this time. However, I think that there is such a wide range of schools out there so it might be less of an issue then you think.