"Chinese International School" Why no reviews?

youpassgo

"Chinese International School" Why no reviews?

Post by youpassgo »

"Chinese International School" link below, has zero press on ISR, does anyone have any info?

http://www.cis.edu.hk/community/index.aspx
gengrant

Re: "Chinese International School" Why no reviews?

Post by gengrant »

There is a report on the paid side - albeit old - however the Head of School is the same person, so it may be pertinent - check under Hong Kong and not China when looking for the school.
lightstays

Post by lightstays »

Let's be critical thinkers. I think it would be wise to avoid any place called "Chinese International School."
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

From my experience it seems like the less reviews a school has then the better run it is. Happy, content teachers generally don't feel the need to post a review so sometimes the less there is the better the school is. I know this isn't always true, but it is something to keep in mind.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

So lightstay is right about using critical thinking skills, but I'd say wrong about how one would apply that here.

CIS is a very established school going back to pre-handover. They've got great facilities and are well resourced. Lots of university reps visit the school each year and they sent their students. Their IB results are quite good though I suspect a lot more of the students should take a bilingual dipla looking at their Mandarin (language B) results. Check out their website. Reading through it should right away tell you it's not one of these crappy new schools that just sprung up yesterday.

It's one of the first schools I'd consider in HK. I know one of the school counselors there who has worked there for at least the past 7 years. Having said that, I haven't heard in detail what working there is like. I like how integrated mandarin is in their curriculum.
Briz

Post by Briz »

DP results are fantastic. 7 students scoring 45's last year is amazing!

Met the HOS at BKK, thought he was odd. Definitely an academic program. Does that fit who you are as a teacher? Some DP teachers are highly academic, some are inspirational. All types are needed, that is what "fit" is all about.
Q8Sobieski

Post by Q8Sobieski »

I spent four good years in Hong Kong but I never worked at CIS. But I remember the school having a solid reputation. Their facilities are nice -- I visited the school twice or thrice -- and found their students pleasant. Most seemed to be Overseas Chinese who have returned to HK. As far as I recall, the gossip and word-on-the-street in HK held that CIS was a top school.

youpassgo wrote:
> "Chinese International School" link below, has zero press on ISR,
> does anyone have any info?
>
> http://www.cis.edu.hk/community/index.aspx
Q8Sobieski

Post by Q8Sobieski »

lightstays wrote:
> Let's be critical thinkers. I think it would be wise to avoid any place
> called "Chinese International School."

How would that represent "critical thinking"?