Re: Reply

Post by vandsmith »

Heliotrope wrote:
> PsyGuy wrote:
> > If you go to the end of that paragraph it states the cost of living
> > difference directly "Consumer Prices in The Hague (Den Haag) are
> > 41.36% lower than in Zurich".
>
> That's what I said ("So cost of living in The Hague however is only around 59%
> of what it is in Zürich")
>
>
> Then at the bottom of the page it states
> > "Average Monthly Net Salary (After Tax) 6,107.82 Fr.(5,529.31
> > €) 2,533.80 Fr.(2,293.81 €) -58.52 %"
>
> Note the word 'average'. Shocker: the average expat salary is higher than the average
> IT salary (even though lots of ITs don't seem to accept that and still try to live
> the same lifestyle as other expats), but ITs salaries aren't always a fixed
> percentage of the average expat salary. I've lived in cities where ITs made about the
> same as the average expat in the same city, and I've lived in cities where the
> average expat made about double.
> When it comes to consumer prices, the ITs expenses are more easily compared between
> cities, as prices at supermarkets, bars, etc. will be the same for both groups
> (average expats & ITs).
>
>
> Interesting to note btw, is that Numbeo sets the average rent per month for a 3
> bedroom apartment in The Hague, outside of centre (so where the ISs are) at € 1243
> (and starting as low as € 800). Even in the centre they are a lot cheaper than €
> 1900.

i mean, a quick google search proves the fact that you can get a flat for less than 1900 euros. i didn't realize y'all were still debating that one! lol.

v.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

vandsmith wrote:
> i mean, a quick google search proves the fact that you can get a flat for less than
> 1900 euros. i didn't realize y'all were still debating that one! lol.
>
> v.

You are right.
We aren't really debating it, only PsyGuy is. Everybody knows it's well under 1,900 euros.
I just enjoy pointing it out as @PsyGuy doesn't care about data, and would rather stick to his position rather than admit that he was wrong. It's sort of fascinating to see how he still won't.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

No, thats what I stated first:
"Looking at Numbeo, Zurich vs. the cities you mentioned have cost of living (COL) differences of:
Berlin: 48% lower COL
Munich: 43% lower COL
Paris: 33% lower COL
The Hague: 40% lower COL"

I disagree with YOUR claim that the average IT salary is higher than the average regional salary in the Hague, I disagree with @Heliotrope, not Numbeo.

Interesting they set the price of rent for a 3LDK in the city center between 1300€ and €2100 of which €1900 falls within that range.
Youre the only one debating it, because its €1900, thats the data.

@vandsmith

Because its still €1900
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

> Interesting they set the price of rent for a 3LDK in the city center
> between 1300€ and €2100 of which €1900 falls within that range.
> Youre the only one debating it, because its €1900, thats the data.
>
> @vandsmith
>
> Because its still €1900

maybe there are requirements that i'm missing? because there are many apartments that are well below 1900 euros, including ones with 3 bedrooms and 4 bedrooms. i just took a quick look at one site, but there must be more: www.pararius.com

v.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

@vandsmith
You're not missing anything. @PsyGuy is disregarding actual data yet again.
The best site for rentals in The Netherlands is Funda btw, and right now it shows 85 3+BR places available for under 1,500, all over the city, including the city centre: https://www.funda.nl/en/huur/den-haag/0 ... rprijs-op/

@PsyGuy
The fact that some people are foolish enough to pay € 1,900 (or perhaps have expensive taste) doesn't mean that that's the average price for a 3BR in The Hague. The Hague, as in the entire city, not just the centre. The city centre is always more expensive anyway, plus in The Hague that means you'd be far from the ISs. Plus the average in the city centre for a 3BR is € 1637 according to Numbeo, also well below your € 1900.
So I'm not sure why you think that the fact that a small minority of expats pays € 1900 rent supports your argument.

So fun to rehash this!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

Because its €1900
€1637 is as well below €1900 as €2100 is well above €1900. €1900 is in the range thats what the data shows.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Because its €1900
> €1637 is as well below €1900 as €2100 is well above €1900. €1900 is in the
> range thats what the data shows.

Wrong.
Remember what question was actually asked?
Let me refresh your memory:
"Who can give me some real numbers on a 3bedroom flat in the Hague? It would not be city center ...more like Escamp or Loosduinen.."
(by @twoteachers, Tue Mar 05, 2019)

So, not city centre, the range would be € 800 - € 1,768.
But even then, the logical answer would just be the average, which is € 1243.
Either way, € 1900 is wrong.
And if you choose to give an answer that isn't the average, and you want to help the OP, you should give the range rather than merely a number that's within that range (and at the top end of the range).
PsyGuy

Re: Savings in Europe

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

€1900 is a real number, its just your interpretation to use the average. €1900 isnt that far outside of the range pole of € 1,768 for outside the city center.

€1900 is right because its €1900, thats the value that is most helpful and representative to the LW.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Heliotrope
>
> €1900 is a real number, its just your interpretation to use the average.
> €1900 isnt that far outside of the range pole of € 1,768 for outside the
> city center.
>
> €1900 is right because its €1900, thats the value that is most helpful and
> representative to the LW.

A couple of posts ago you said € 1900 was ok because it "is in the range thats what the data shows".
Well, it turns out it's NOT within the range.
So the data shows € 1900 is wrong. That's what the data shows.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

No, €1900 is within the range of my data, its right. €1900 is outside the rang of Numbeos data for outside the city center and inside the range of Numbeos data for inside the city center.

Its €1900
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

A fine example of losing with grace when faced with overwhelming evidence @PsyGuy!
Has anyone seen the goalpost? It seems it has been moved.

And yes the average would be the most helpful answer.
Last edited by Illiane_Blues on Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> and inside the range of Numbeos data for inside the city center.

The question was about outside the city centre though, so € 1900 is wrong.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

€1900 is within the range of my data for outside the city center, its right. Numbeos data isnt my data your the first one to bring up the Numbeo data in regards to housing costs.

@Illiane_Blues

Same goal post, same position.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> €1900 is within the range of my data for outside the city center, its
> right. Numbeos data isnt my data your the first one to bring up the Numbeo
> data in regards to housing costs.

You were happy to accept Numbeo when you still thought the data was supporting your argument.
Amusing to see that both the Numbeo numbers, and a website with 100+ available 3BR places for under € 1600 currently for rent in The Hague are not relevant data for you.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

No I showed you where your data would support a value of €1900, because its €1900.