Hiring Window?

mrbrian

Hiring Window?

Post by mrbrian »

I have been back in the USA for 3 years after having taught in Taiwan and Japan for a combined 10 years. Armed with my teaching certificate and two years teaching experience, I wish to rejoin the world of International Teaching. However, I just started searching and it appears that many of the jobs for the 2014-2015 year have been snatched up. I am wondering if the best part of the hiring window has closed or if I am still likely to find a good position if I begin applying now?

Usually there is no harm in applying. I have looked at ISS as a tool to reach out to many schools and they would require my current supervisor which is my principal. The conundrum I face is that if I were to find that none of the jobs now available suited me, I would not likely be able to continue the job I have now for another year as my principal would look for someone who would be more likely to stick around.

I could always find another job in the states where I am, so if the international window is still fairly open I would likely apply and see where I land. However, if the window for international jobs is quickly closing, then I would likely put it off until next year.

I know the answers won't be black or white, but any perspective would be helpful.

Thanks.
DeDee

Re: Hiring Window?

Post by DeDee »

Well f you are a signed up with ISS, the Boston Fair is next week. Can you go? I just accepted an offer 2 weeks ago and received another interview request after that so there are still jobs out there.

Why can't you remain at your job if you don't find a position? Not sure if I understand the reason.
Briz

Post by Briz »

It sounds to me like you need to have a sit-down with your principal. A good one will understand when you say you are still interested in teaching internationally, and will support you to a point. You should just determine that point. Say April 1st. If you have not found a position by then, you stay. Then come the fall you start your search in earnest and go for the 15-16 school year.

That would be my approach anyway...
mrbrian

Post by mrbrian »

Briz,

Yes, I am hoping that my principal would understand about such matters. I'm at the cusp where when I do get hired back for my third year, then the school district has to work very hard to get rid of me; but after only the 2nd year they can decide not to renew my contract at the drop of a hat. As much as I would like to think the principal would look out for me, the bottom line is that the district wants teachers who will be committed to teaching in this community. If I'm talking about taking a hike, my principal can make that easier for me.

So, I'm not quite hooked up with ISS as of yet. I was hoping to go the Skype interview route rather than the job fair route. I've heard that the bang for your buck isn't always with the job fairs. Perhaps I need to do more research.

I sort of imagine that with job fairs happening now, that the jobs are still out there, but I'm wondering when does it get to be slim pickings...or is it already getting there?

Thanks again, all.
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

Mrbrian,

The window is still open, but the majority of the jobs will be filled in the next three weeks. Next week-end are two of the largest fairs in Iowa and Cambridge, MA followed by Boston ISS. Most of the top tier schools are done after these fairs. The San Francisco fairs are in two weeks, which are the end of the major fairs.

Having said that some schools do not always find suitable candidates and there are late resignations. My advice is to check the school websites of the places you most want to go. Email the principals directly with your resume. If you do it early this week, you could be interviewed by Skype and considered along with the candidates at the fairs.
Rye

Post by Rye »

I asked my principal and AP to fill out my eval for ISS and told him I was just considering - that this was for a portfolio to be kept online for a few years. I think he was more accepting of that then if I said "I am looking to get out of here" but I am also very lucky to have a great principal in that regard.

I also have had a difficult time finding a spot I would leave here to accept, but I have an interview via Skype tomorrow with a very nice school so there are still jobs out there. I have found that "expressing interest" or the "apply now" buttons on the ISS site should always be followed up by an introductory email to the school and even applying via their own website. Almost all of my responses have come through that method. Don't be afraid to talk to several schools, even if you are not 100% sure. You can always (politely) say no, and sometimes you can make an effective contact.

Good luck, the game is far from over!
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

I wish I had your problem OP.

I am in the process of getting certified / licensed, no experience. Hope to have that finished by April or May.

I am very concerned about finding a job around that time. I really do not want to have to return to Asia to teach ESL for another 6-12 months waiting for Fall 15.
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

IMHO I believe that the hiring window is relative. My first job where I started recruiting last minute unaware of the "recruiting season" and landed a last minute post in September. I also was hired in summer for a school year. I think it just varies person to person, job to job and situation to situation. I say keep plugging away you really never know when something can happen. Yes, many jobs are being filled Dec - Feb. However, jobs are also filled right up to first day of school and there after for some that decided to go in another direction.

Be positive and keep applying until you get something. You really never know.