On egg shells

dolphin

On egg shells

Post by dolphin »

I have a friend who I worked with in Malaysia and she just informed me that she has been blacklisted. As far as I know, she was one of the most revered employees at our school. To date, I know I have not been blacklisted but I am confused that one can blacklist someone for no reason now.

Is there anything that I should be aware of if I plan to go back to Malaysia?
overseasvet2

Re: On egg shells

Post by overseasvet2 »

Blacklisted by who?
sid

Post by sid »

And with whom?
And what makes her think so?
Many of these blacklisting rumors are rather overstated. There is certainly no official list of teachers 'never to be spoken of'. From my experience, a bad reference, or even a single poisonous line in a reference ('is better working independently than collaborating') can have a strong negative effect on a person's chances of getting a good position, but still leaves them open to lesser schools.
And heads know each other, and know who to respect, and who to listen to, and who not to. A bad reference from certain heads is treated like the dribble it is, not worth the paper it's printed on.
And if a person comes away from a fair with no offers, they might be inclined to think they were somehow blacklisted, but more likely there just wasn't a good match with the schools/positions in attendance.
I really can't say what happened to your friend, but it may or may not have been what she thinks.
Nemo.

Post by Nemo. »

Hi she might mean blacklisted with immigration. If someone in Malaysia leaves before their contract expires an employer can request a 'blacklisting' for an employment pass. This then causes issues with getting new employment within Malaysia, although some employers will pay extra to have that removed if the really like you, or when you exit early come to a financial agreement with old employer they won't blacklist you. It never expires - we had one who was blacklisted. He did a runner from us as well!

Search also will 'black list' you if you accept an offer at a fair, then take another offer etc. That is fair if you break your word.
sid

Post by sid »

If you renege on a contract, the recruiting agency will not let you register with them anymore. They don't advertise your indiscretion, so no one else ever need know. (Except for the recruiters and schools involved, who of course can tell anyone.)