Moving from the Canadian School to a British School

Helen Back

Moving from the Canadian School to a British School

Post by Helen Back »

I am considering a move from an international Canadian curriculum school to a British school. Has anyone done this and how did it work out? I have to admit, I don't know much about the National Curriculum, but I have this image of drowning in paperwork.

I guess I just have the jitters. I also interviewed for another Canadian (different provincial curriculum) school. I know the British school will pay more and the city the school is in will be more interesting. However, there is a level of comfort staying in the company of Canadians. In the end I know I'll take the Brit school if offered, but I have a feeling of nervousness about it.

Any thoughts?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Moved from Canada to UK and taught English and ICT in the national system there - GCSE and KS 3 work.

Overall, while it is a different mindset and things are based on a scale, rather than a percentage grade, it took me awhile to wrap my mind around it. Levels in the NC are everything, and predicted levels are gold.

What I would advise is actually looking at the British NC for KS 1 and 2 and the SOWs (schemes of work) that accompany it. If you are teaching any of the subjects at primary (pre-KS3), look here: http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/tea ... um/primary and then find the subject area(s) you will be teaching.

In the end, while some things might be done differently, and evaluated on a different scale, teaching is teaching, whether in the UK or Canada.

Good luck with your choices HB!