INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL OF KIGALI info?

PsychBean

INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL OF KIGALI info?

Post by PsychBean »

This is a very small school. Has anyone worked here. How is work life culture. Also is it safe?

Thank you.
Briz

Post by Briz »

Not a lot of meat on the bone offered to live in Rwanda. I think you would really have to be into it in order to enjoy your life there. Then again that is me, war, famine, genocide are words that make me check no on the apply box. I am sure Africa can be a great post for some people, but I will never know. I think at this time some of us might start considering those out of the way locals, but I would wait until April before seriously considering this. Again... Just my opinion!
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

Thanks Briz just asking....
Briz

Post by Briz »

For sure with the fairs days away, you are feeling much like I feel. Don't despair or go desperate. Trust your education, training and experience, and there will be light at the end of the tunnel! Happy New Year!
interteach

Post by interteach »

Rwanda has moved a long way from its genocide days and is actually one of the better posts in Africa. I don't know about the school but if you're interested in Africa it's worth a look although malaria may be an issue.
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

[quote="Briz"]For sure with the fairs days away, you are feeling much like I feel. Don't despair or go desperate. Trust your education, training and experience, and there will be light at the end of the tunnel! Happy New Year![/quote]

Hee hee, just really asking. Haven't heard much of anything about Rwanda except horrible things. So I was jus wondering if anything good was going on there. I'm holding tight. Thank you. I hope you have a happy New Year as well just a few short hours to go!
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

[quote="Briz"]For sure with the fairs days away, you are feeling much like I feel. Don't despair or go desperate. Trust your education, training and experience, and there will be light at the end of the tunnel! Happy New Year![/quote]

Hee hee, just really asking. Haven't heard much of anything about Rwanda except horrible things. So I was jus wondering if anything good was going on there. I'm holding tight. Thank you. I hope you have a happy New Year as well just a few short hours to go!
dexts

Post by dexts »

Not sure what kind of salary is on offer there, but Rwanda can be a great place to live. Very friendly people, lots of great adventures without travelling too far and very safe compared to some other African countries. Some issues with petty crime in Kigali, but hardly any violent crime. There is a fairly large expat community, although more French speakers than English.

Housing is not great, even for expats. The internet is atrociously slow and ridiculously expensive. There are a few great restaurants, but because of their limited number, you will probably exhaust the menu quickly. That said, for its size, Kigali does seem to have a good amount of good restaurants.

Briz, your comments on Rwanda are a little unfair. Rwanda has largely moved past the tragic events that occurred 20 years ago. To characterise their country as a place of genocide, war and famine is unfair and not reflective of the place today. You wouldn't turn down a position in Japan because of the Sarin Gas attacks in Tokyo (1995) would you?
Briz

Post by Briz »

Dexts.. I would... Africa is not a place for me and my family... Just sayin... For me... Putting it out there, as an opinion. Letting an ear be heard in the wind.. That is it.. All others should be judged by the reader. Personally I also believe it is unfair, but I will not take a post in Africa. That is me.
Umyaya

Post by Umyaya »

Hi there! I live in a surrounding country now -- before moving to an African country, I had the attitude that I wouldn't want to move there. Man, was that a bad assumption!!! I love living here -- easiest place that I have ever moved, hands down. So, keep an open mind. I often comment on how great the weather is here, but people have commented back, "you have never lived in Rwanda"...If it's better than here, it must be excellent!

We have a friend who will be working at this school next year and is super excited about it. It is a small school, so no doubt that the counseling position is for the whole school -- a different feel if you have been doing just one year level. I would say to interview with the school if you can, and I bet it would be a good one!
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

Congrats to your friend Umyaya. However I don't think anyone here has an interview with this school. The name came up and I inquired since I don't have any information on the school also the reviews on the paid portion of the site are very poor. However I am not interested in this particular school just an inquiry. I do wish your friend well though.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Lived in Malawi for several years and have returned, as has my son, for extended periods of time. Africa is a great place to live, despite the problems it is subject to. I have read some really good things about Rwanda and wouldn't write it off based on an event that happened over 20 years ago.
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

Africa is a huge continent with a great deal of variety. To hear the continent written off really gets under my skin.