American Teachers in British Schools and other questions

Westeach

American Teachers in British Schools and other questions

Post by Westeach »

Im currently teaching special education in the United States and have been looking at job openings overseas and notice many more opportunities at British style international schools. With just two years experience as a teacher in the US is it realistic to apply at these schools? I have no IB experience and was curious if anyone has noticed many American teachers working at British internatonal schools. I have two certificates: special education and Middle School language arts... have not signed up for SA or ISS at the moment and thinking I should have jumped the ball much earlier. As a teacher with two years experience does waiting for one more year make me any more attractive as a candidate? Do many Middle East countries have special education opportunities?
skonamaj1

Post by skonamaj1 »

Wow you have a lot of good questions there, and I think many of us have at one time had the same questions. I am an American, but I have taught in a British curriculum school. British schools typically use A-levels GCSE or IGCSE developed by Cambridge as their curriculum of course some British Schools use IB. It totally depends on the school.

As for getting a job in a British school it depends on the country. In some countries like Thailand for example most British schools tend to want teachers from the UK or commonwealth countries, however, their were a few Americans working in British schools there, and a good friend of mine was working at Harrow a very prestigious British school in Bangkok. His situation was different though as he was specialty area so he was in high demand.

I eventually did work for a British school teaching IGSCE a few years later. It was a learning experience for me but I was glad I did it because I was able to learn a lot, and I think it has helped me in my career. As now I have taught IGCSE with CIE Cambridge examination, and a USA based AP curriculum. So I just have IB left on my list to experience all three of the major educational styles.

Of course I believe especially in international teaching there is no substitute for experience. I have met a lot of highly educated fools in my time; my advice is to learn by doing get out there, and keep an open mind to new ways and new ideas and you will do fine.
skonamaj1

Post by skonamaj1 »

Also for finding a job if you want British schools I would look at TES the Times Education Supplement, as they post some good jobs there. I would also recommend joining TIE the international educator job site; they have good opening on that site. Finally search associates is also a good website to join for finding jobs. There are also many many many other jobs sites out there with varying degrees of quality.

Also yes there are special education jobs out there you just have to look for them.
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Hi jont,

I feel especially qualified to write about this one, as I have been an American teaching in a British style school for the past 15 years.

It is definitely worth trying with the British schools. Though I am currently trying to get back into the American system (internationally), I have had an amazing experience with British schools. Many good schools have SEN positions, and if you can combine that with a humanities background, you'll have a shot. Apply!

The only drawback I've had is that after so many years, I feel I might be considered "British" now when applying to American schools! That may be a function of my specialty, though, as my subject is definitely taught "differently" in the British system. Still, I'll be at the Fair in BKK in 2 weeks, and I'm going for it! Now, just need to get an interview!

Good luck!
Westeach

Post by Westeach »

double post
Last edited by Westeach on Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Westeach

Post by Westeach »

l
Last edited by Westeach on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skonamaj1

Post by skonamaj1 »

As I mentioned in my last post in lived in Bangkok before, and saving money there is easy, but spending money there is also very easy. I will depend on your lifestyle.