Sktpe or fair

counselme

Sktpe or fair

Post by counselme »

Hello there, Is it best to attend the fairs or to simply use Skype for interviews? Anyone out there who has found very good positions using Skype rather than attending very expensive fairs and having to travel very long distances? I can't get the time off from my local district to attend an international fair. But I am concerned that not going to one may mean I get less desirable positions from schools only using Skype?
What has been your experience?
Thank you,
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

I am fairly new to this international thing, but I went to 1 fair received no offers, but made good contacts. I received 4 offers via skype interviews one of which I accepted a job. My other job was skype and offer. So it has been good for me. But I think fairs are great based on what the vets say.
Briz

Post by Briz »

The fairs are not expensive if you stay at a school you like in a country you like doing something you like.......

A single will spend just over a thousand dollars, maybe upto 1500 and a couple no more than 2500. What does that translate to if you get a job for 5 years making 40-50k tax free?

Not many skype interviews right now....

Plenty of people get good jobs through skype! Many more get hired at the fairs.
counselme

Post by counselme »

Sounds like Skyping can work if you can't get time away for fairs. Thank you both.
sid

Post by sid »

For people new to the circuit, I highly recommend fairs. You learn a ton about the career and market you're trying to enter, make lots of contacts, have a chance to meet and convince a large number of employers in one shot. Skype is a good back-up, but not as efficient/effective as a fair for most newcomers.

For experienced international educators, the Skype route offers more promise. These people already know the game and the market, and they have the CVs that tick recruiters' boxes.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

As a school counselor, there is a real chance of being hired by Skype without fair attendance. Though I think Sid is right that you can learn a lot about the international school world through attending a fair and make contacts.

The main risk for someone who is unfamiliar with working abroad who doesn't attend a fair is ending up at a terrible school. When you attend a fair there is an opportunity to learn a lot about a lot of schools. You can start to see relative strengths at different schools (tiers, if you will). Of course one can make bad choices even attending fairs, but you'd be doing with more information at hand.

Good luck.