Going to a fair- what do you tell your school?

chipmunk84

Going to a fair- what do you tell your school?

Post by chipmunk84 »

Hi

I'm new to the IS scene and was wondering what I should tell my current headteacher about attending the London Search fair in January. Do people generally ask for leave of absence?

Thanks
inman

Post by inman »

Unless you're somewhere that is going to take it really personally, as though you're turning your back on the school or something, then I think it's good just to be upfront about it. A lot of international schools allow "recruitment leave" of about 2 or 3 days, as it's just a reality of the situation that everyone needs to know very early on that they're not returning. They hire people through fairs so they expect people will go to them again when they leave.
Briz

Post by Briz »

I scheduled a meeting with my HOS, sat down and talked for 45 minutes. He made the case for me staying at school, but was wise and understanding about my situation. He helped me get my recommendations, and even left a back door open that if it isn't working at the fair to come talk to him, as he would rather I stay. In the end I talked to a recruiter he had used in the past and decided to go to both search and ISS because I would have to miss school anyway. The hardest part about leaving my school is having a head who will actually try to see it from my perspective. So my advice is just go talk to them and be honest about your situation. Professionals will not take it personally!
skonamaj1

Post by skonamaj1 »

Most schools will not grant leave for these fairs.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

Sign #54 that you're at at crappy international school - They won't give you time to go to a recruiting fair.
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

[quote="Briz"]I scheduled a meeting with my HOS, sat down and talked for 45 minutes. He made the case for me staying at school, but was wise and understanding about my situation. He helped me get my recommendations, and even left a back door open that if it isn't working at the fair to come talk to him, as he would rather I stay. In the end I talked to a recruiter he had used in the past and decided to go to both search and ISS because I would have to miss school anyway. The hardest part about leaving my school is having a head who will actually try to see it from my perspective. So my advice is just go talk to them and be honest about your situation. Professionals will not take it personally![/quote]

Great advice! I think your school is being more than fair. Not all schools will be as kind though. I know my last school was not. Although my principal rocked. The school wasn't so great and many snuck around job hunting. Horror stories of fear of current school calling prospective school to speak of you poorly...
adminpaul

Telling YOur School Good Bye

Post by adminpaul »

Have a look out the ISR Blog - Telling Your School Good Bye.

http://internationalschoolsreviewdiscus ... l-goodbye/
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

If you are at a reputable international school, usually you receive a day a year to recruit. So after two years, you have two days of paid leave to recruit. If you want a third, you don't get paid.

If you are NOT at a reputable international school, you won't get the time, or it won't be paid.

If you are teaching in your home country, it is something negotiated between you and your head or principal. I interviewed for one international job over Christmas as I could not get to a fair, so arranged to meet the director over lunch and talk about jobs (which I got :-)
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

It completely depends upon the school and whether or not they are jerks. My previous school let me go to a recruiting fair but I had to use up my sick days in order to do so. My current school gives us 3 days for recruiting at the end of our contract. There are other schools who will simply tell you "no" and you have to decide whether or not to accept the consequences of going anyway.
chipmunk84

Thanks!

Post by chipmunk84 »

Thanks for the advice. I work in a normal comprehensive in the UK so I had to ask for unpaid leave in the end, but my headteacher was fine about it and also supplied a reference that day, which was great.