lightstays

Teacher Killed in Libya

Post by lightstays »

dover2013

Re: Teacher Killed in Libya

Post by dover2013 »

[quote="lightstays"]Another man down.

----://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2013/12/05/worl ... E6AE922262[/quote]

Another? Is there some kind of "war on teachers" that we've been missing?
lightstays

Post by lightstays »

To wit: it's a way of saying another well-intentioned and innocent expat robbed of his life by thugs with guns.
dover2013

Post by dover2013 »

[quote="lightstays"]To wit: it's a way of saying another well-intentioned and innocent expat robbed of his life by thugs with guns.[/quote]

It read more like, "another man down" to me.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

Our Vice Principal was shot dead two years ago in a country not far from Libya. This kind of thing brings it all back. It's not really mentioned in school anymore, because so many staff have moved on, but on Remembrance Day I know he was on my mind the most and I'm pretty sure he was on all the minds of the people who knew him. He was 34.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

Bad news indeed. My prayers go out to his school community, friends and family.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

Hell to the naw for working in Lybia or any other of those extreme Islamist countries.
Nomad68

RIP Ronnie Smith III

Post by Nomad68 »

CaliPro - no, the majority of Libyans want peace and are very friendly and welcoming towards foreigners regardless of their religion and just want to live in peace. Sadly there are an armed minority who hold pockets of power and terrorize both Libyans and expats whilst promoting their extremist views.

I worked with Ronnie in Benghazi and he was a decent peaceful person. Unfortunately, he did not keep a low profile and going jogging in public and near the US base was inviting trouble. Ronnie would not have seen it that way because he believed most people were decent human beings. Sadly the world isn't like that and there are too many extremists with guns at large in Libya who are looking for easy targets. RIP Ronnie and my thoughts are with your family.

Ronnie died just one month after another of our colleagues, James Scratch, died in Benghazi - although in his case it was from a brain haemorragh. RIP Jim.