American School of Recife, Brazil?

schoolcounselor

American School of Recife, Brazil?

Post by schoolcounselor »

This school has contacted me for a Skype interview prior to the AASSA fair. There are no reviews on the school on ISR or elsewhere on the internet that I can find.

Anyone have insight on the school and/or the city?

thanks!
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

north east coast of brazil....... if your a single guy GO ;)
schoolcounselor

I am a single female...does your enthusiasm change?
KellyGuy

Post by KellyGuy »

I haven't been to Recife, but I lived in Salvador last year, and I think there are some similarities--particularly the violence and crime rates. But Recife has the added factor of sharks, as you probably already learned. Recife has the highest rate of shark attacks in all of Brazil, from what I recall--and one of the highest in the whole world.

As a single American woman, you'll be popular with the guys, certainly. There are some great guys in Brazil, but my female friends often said that the general attitude among Brazilian men is that women are just for sex, nothing more.

If you have a thick skin for such things, don't mind living in a place where you can't go for a walk after dark in most areas of the city, and you mostly have to stay out of the ocean, you might like Recife. I'd bet that you'd end up flying to Rio on long weekends though.
matts1w

Sharks???

Post by matts1w »

Lamest comment ever about sharks... and very misinformed.

The stats on sharks attacks are readily available. This year, there have been two shark attacks in Brazil. Meanwhile, there have 46 (above average) shark attacks in the US.

Florida, my home state, leads the world in shark attacks, where there have been over 650. Brazil ranks far below with about 100.

"Considering that more than 200 million people visit U.S. beaches each year, the number of shark attacks is relatively small. Of those millions of beach goers each year, about 36 are attacked by sharks, while more than 30,000 need to be rescued from surfing accidents." -Oceana, 2012

If you want to scare someone about moving to Brazil and its beaches, then better to focus on beach crime (Which is something to consider for a single woman in Brazil), automobile crashes while driving to the beach, drowning in a rip tide, or even lightening strikes. Just lay off sharks.
KellyGuy

Post by KellyGuy »

It isn't ignorant at all. You seem to be unaware of, or simply ignore, the fact that surfing has been banned at most Recife beaches for over two decades due to the shark attacks. And Recife is THE place with the vast majority of shark attack fatalities in South America--50 shark attacks in and around Recife in the last 25 years, with 24 of those attacks fatal.

I agree that there are many other dangers in Brazil, that are actually a far higher statistical risk to the average person. But many Americans want to go to Brazil to enjoy the wonderful beaches and tropical waters. It would really suck to go there and only then find out that you really can't go in the water most of the time.
schoolcounselor

Well, I had a great interview with the school, but you guys are not painting an appealing picture of life in Recife...

high taxes...sharks...not safe at night...egads!
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

If you are blonde you might get a lot of attention from the men. That can be good or bad.

Brazil is one of my favorite countries.

How did you apply to the school? See opening on recruiting / job website or simply apply directly to the school?
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

Besides shark attacks and being a dingle male....are there benefits to working at this school?
schoolcounselor

Calipro -the school approached me via email because of my file on the AASSA job fair site. I declined the offer, based on many factors, financial first and foremost.

secondarily, the life style described there doesn't appeal. I am a redhead, would like to eventually find a life partner and terrified of sharks. Also, the school's housing wasn't too easy for me bringing my dog along...

The principal was great, though! And I think it's a small school on the way up under his leadership. Truly visionary 21st century educator and very down to earth.