Bottom Schools

newchapter

Bottom Schools

Post by newchapter »

While I've seen a lot of information and opinions about what are considered the top tier schools I was wondering if anyone has any opinions about schools that should be avoided at all costs. Just wondering if there was a general consensus about the top 10 worst schools.

I know opinions will vary but thanks for posting an opinion.
sid

Post by sid »

Top 10 worst? I doubt it. There are far too many schools out there that barely qualify as schools. Once you reach a certain level of awfulness, how do you distinguish?
People might give you individual lists of places that are awful, but if you want that, just go over to the school review side of ISR, and read your way through.
inman

Post by inman »

I agree with Sid there. There are just way too many nightmare places to list. Ask about a specific country and you might get a few responses.
vincentchase

Post by vincentchase »

Schools with the best staff bottoms would be easier to establish and arguably more valuable.
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

Well I have a cheery little bottom, does that help?
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

OK...Well...I see where this thread is going...I was just hoping to have a short list of schools to avoid when I go the job fair in Cambridge...or is it safe to say that most schools represented by Search are fairly on the up and up...not necessarily the best places to work but not entirely dreadful?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Hayah Academy, in Egypt, is in the Police City and apparently is rough. The other Egyptian schools are ok - I have friends who are at, or who have been at, most of them and they were happy.

Most seem ok - some the pay will be lower than what you might think. Do your homework using the Search tools to filter and use ISR to see what a consensus is. Take each review with a grain of salt, but look for consistency of reviews, coupled with sudden changes as school leadership changed. Don't believe 100%, though! As I say, look for patterns.

I know there are certain schools I would never go to, simply based on who the director is.
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

Thanks, Shadowjack...being new to this I don't really know exactly where I want to go so I know much of it will depend on talking with people at the job fair and of course using this site...etc. I'm just worried that some schools may seem slick and inviting, but it's one of those 'everyone knows to stay away from it' kind of school and I was the idiot that didn't know.

Maybe I'm thinking too much about all this...
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

Thanks, Shadowjack...being new to this I don't really know exactly where I want to go so I know much of it will depend on talking with people at the job fair and of course using this site...etc. I'm just worried that some schools may seem slick and inviting, but it's one of those 'everyone knows to stay away from it' kind of school and I was the idiot that didn't know.

newchapter

Post by newchapter »

newchapter

Post by newchapter »

Don't know why there are 4 posts..couldn't delete.
KellyGuy

Post by KellyGuy »

[quote="Cheery Littlebottom"]Well I have a cheery little bottom, does that help?[/quote]

Goes well with your beard, dear. And the helmet looks lovely.
pikefish

Post by pikefish »

[quote="newchapter"]...or is it safe to say that most schools represented by Search are fairly on the up and up...not necessarily the best places to work but not entirely dreadful?[/quote]

Absolutely not. It is up to you to do your due diligence to research, question, and explore about a school AND where it is located to see if it is a good fit for you. Most recruiters will be very much on the up-and-up, but some will not. All will be positive about their school no matter how good or bad they are. That is their job. Unless the school is absolutely despicable, Search is glad to cash their checks and have them at their fairs.

Also keep in mind that there are MANY wonderful schools in cities that are very, very challenging for some people due to pollution, politics, religion, traffic, sanitation, crime, weather, whatever… Don't go somewhere you will be miserable just because the school looks ok. Life is too short and no one wants to be around a miserable, unhappy person.
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

@newchapter - Forget everything you've been told.Teachers on these forums are mostly M.F.s - Malad Fools! or Moralizing Fools! They tend to be one or the other.

The best schools are the bottom schools. You should be making a list of bottom schools, 3rd tier schools and, best of all, no-tier start-up schools, not so as to avoid them but to actively seek them out.

The opportunities at these so-called bottom schools is mind boggling. I was at a 3rd tier school in Vietnam for close to 9-months and didn't do even a lick of work. I would arrive at 7:59am just in time for 8:00am class and spend the next 7 hours surfing the net, putting in applications for the next gig and searching for my soul mate on Asia Friend Finder. The hardest thing about that job was finding ways to occupy my time - but I did! I learned a good deal of survival Vietnamesse, caught up on my reading and found myself not one but TWO fiances some 25 years mu junior.

In my experience, there is nothing NOTHING! better than a well paying job at a bottom school. Its inevitbly stress - free employment and if you can manage your free time, much can be accomplished while you are not busy not teaching.

Best of luck New Chapter.
grdwdgrrrl

Post by grdwdgrrrl »

Dear Higgsbosomn,

You are correct sir.

But, you could see it another way, having no prying eyes also means you can be as creative and innovative as you always dreamed. You have a blank slate on which to make your mark. I loved my years working in a start up. Kids were keen, I was inventing the wheel and it was very rewarding.

:-)