Getting a job late in the hiring season as a newb

CaliPro

Getting a job late in the hiring season as a newb

Post by CaliPro »

Due to certain conditions (work/location) I wont be able to get my license until around March. Which means i'll be looking for a job in mid March through May/June.

As a newb coupled with trying to find a job so late I have pretty much conditioned my mind for getting some crap tier 3 school. If I can find a job at all.

Aiming for a school in Latin America, Middle East, or South East Asia.

Advice, comments, or suggestions much appreciated.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Calipro, Search is running late fairs in Bangkok Mar. 13 - 16, London, April 25 - 27, and perhaps your best choice, Bethesda, June 20 - 22, which will get you those late schools - some of which are not bottom-of-the-barrel.

As well, sign up for TIEonline to see job postings coming up - they often get late postings as well.

Don't get too down, and good luck!

Shad
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

The PsyGuys and Higgsbosons of the world, who claim to sign multiple contracts every year, ensure there will be openings late in the season for you. Though god knows what kind of schools would hire either of them...
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

Hopefully I will be able to find SOMETHING.

I would cry if I had to go back to Korea for another year and teach ESL while waiting for the next hiring season.
Max007

Post by Max007 »

You say that now, but you are really going to miss those days in Korea teaching ESL. Teaching internationally has made me consider getting an M.ED in TESOL lol.
lloydkirk

Post by lloydkirk »

[quote="Max007"]You say that now, but you are really going to miss those days in Korea teaching ESL. Teaching internationally has made me consider getting an M.ED in TESOL lol.[/quote]

Max, I am just curious, what makes you say that? International schools seem to be by all accounts a better gig or...?
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

[quote="Max007"]You say that now, but you are really going to miss those days in Korea teaching ESL. Teaching internationally has made me consider getting an M.ED in TESOL lol.[/quote]

Oh hell naw. Your like a babysitter / clown.

Parents complain when your class is not "fun". Then they complain when your class is too much play / games.

Always have to smile. I hate grading essays.

This is not even mentioning my disdain for Korean people / society in general.

Fug all that.

Cant wait to finish this. Only thing ill miss is getting to sleep in everyday.
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

@Callipro

I haven't had a teaching certificate since 2003 and I've been without a job, in fact, multiple job offers. The best time to apply without a teaching certificate is late in the season, which is when many teachers either don't return or just don't show up. Or show up, collect relocation benefits and then move on to the next job. I love when I get to do that!

Once I had three jobs in one year. I got to Europe, Asia and Africa all in one go. It was probably the highlight of my career.

Anyway, it does limit you but not having a license won't rule you out.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

@Hig

You mean apply early without having license in hand say around Dec/Jan/Feb?

I will have my license come Mar/Apr.
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

@Callipro

I don't think its an issue then. If you can guarentee the school you'll have a license by March, apply now. They may offer a conditional contract based on you producing the license.

I wsh I had a license come March. I'd be applying for jobs in Thailand right now.
Max007

Post by Max007 »

[quote="CaliPro"][quote="Max007"]You say that now, but you are really going to miss those days in Korea teaching ESL. Teaching internationally has made me consider getting an M.ED in TESOL lol.[/quote]

Oh hell naw. Your like a babysitter / clown.

Parents complain when your class is not "fun". Then they complain when your class is too much play / games.

Always have to smile. I hate grading essays.

This is not even mentioning my disdain for Korean people / society in general.

Fug all that.

Cant wait to finish this. Only thing ill miss is getting to sleep in everyday.[/quote]

Well, I didn't teach at a hogwan, but it sounds like it set you up well to work at an international school. However, I guarantee the hogwan wasn't as much work.
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

You do not need to wait to apply for a position until you have your certification. I presume you are going through a university program? If so, they should be able to provide you a letter stating you will complete the course work needed to earn your certification which should be fine for most schools.

The lack of teaching experience (again, I presume you do not have any as you are still working on your cert.) will be a larger obstacle to obtaining a position earlier in the recruiting season or at a higher tier school.

My advice is to go to one of the later fairs; UNI, San Francisco where the competition may be less. Provide a bit more information like what you will be certified in, professional experience, if any, and I could provide more specific information.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

@Nomad

I am going through an online alternative certification program affiliated with a University. I have finished most of the program and just need to return to the U.S and finish my 1 week student teaching. My undergrad is in Business (no exp) and I am getting my license in Middle Grades Mathematics.

I get back to the U.S in late Jan and will not be able to attend the UNI or SF Fair. I will still need to complete my program and take my licensing tests. I am looking at applying to school directly and through TIE. I could attend the job fair in Maryland in June if need be.

I dont care about the tier or location for my first contract. Although I am aiming for Middle East, Latin America, and Asia.

A bit stressed, hopefully I will be able to land something.
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

Another idea to consider is Search Associates Intern program. It is actually designed for someone like you. You get a reduced salary, they pay your travel costs and housing. You teach a few classes and gain some experience. Some schools will hire the interns to full time positions the next year.

The information is on their website.

Given that your cert. will be in math and your flexible, you should get some interviews in the spring from TIE or the June fairs. Schools will lose people in the spring and even over the summer, so keep looking.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

Push comes to shove ill take a job anywhere (besides Africa) and at any school.

That is the only thing that gives me a slight hope ill find a job by August starting the searching so late.

Then if that fails I guess its back to Korea for 6-8 months.