Going to the BKK Fair?

ChoirGuy

Going to the BKK Fair?

Post by ChoirGuy »

Hi All,

a question for the Fair veterans. I have an invitation to the BKK Fair at the moment, but the schools I'm interested in either don't have my area or are not attending the Fair. Is it still worth going, as some of the schools I want to go after will be there? Do jobs ever appear AT the fair, before being put onto the Search database?

Thanks for any advice.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Certainly job openings are posted right up until the last moment. I think the better question is whether going to Bangkok would preclude you from attending another fair later in the season.
Walter

Should I go or should I stay?

Post by Walter »

This is really early for schools to know their recruiting needs. Most expect their teachers to declare in December at the earliest. My guess is you will see a rush of vacancies between Dec 1 and Dec 15. If you have been offered a place at SEARCH Bangkok, that means your Associate thinks you must have a good chance of scoring a job - otherwise (s)he wouldn't have given you a slot in the first place. Go for it!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Had friends go to BKK with the same scenario as yours. They didn't get anything, but had planned ahead and went to London as well, where they did land a job.

If you do go to BKK and don't land anything, what's your fall back plan? Always have a fall back plan!
teller

Post by teller »

This discussion brings up some interesting tangential issues.

How common is it that schools hire the second choice at the same fair if their "dream applicant" turns them down? Especially one as early as BKK? Do they generally go for "second choice at BKK" or "new prospects at London/Cambridge?" If my wife and I come away empty from BKK, should we start making plans to head back home? I would really like to hear from recruiters on this one. SA does say something like half of all hirings do come after the fairs...

While I understand Shadowjack's advice in involving a back-up plan, our attending both the Search BKK and the Search London fairs is financially prohibitive. Should we not get hired at BKK we're hoping contacts/positive interactions with recruiters at the fair will help us as January turns to February and March. OK, that could be really naive, but how many job fairs do schools really expect us to attend?

Also, to follow up on the OP's question, if a school is interested in a us but is not attending the BKK fair, how much does it hurt our chances? I would like to think that if an applicant comes up on a school's radar, but is attending a different fair than the applicant, said school would use technology such as Skype in lieu of a F2F interview to give that applicant a chance at the job. Or, am I being naive again?
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

I agree with Walter that most vacancies are not known yet. I would also suggest you go with an open mind. You may find a great school in an exciting place that is a hidden gem.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Teller, go to the fair. I came away with a job last year, but also had some schools I and Mrs. Shadowjack were very interested in who were not in a position to make hiring decisions yet, but who expressed great interest in me/us. Ultimately, I think I made the right choice, but I had more options after the fair.

And...after that when I returned home, I had three emails from other schools I had applied at who were interested in discussing positions I had applied for earlier.

So go, keep an open mind, and make sure you are applying to a range of schools - we cast a broad net and it paid off. I am loving my fair school that is off the beaten path and wasn't on our radar.
teller

Post by teller »

Thanks Shadowjack. We certainly plan to go to the fair, and we know there is a very real possibility that we will leave without jobs. What makes it worse, and what has been stated in other posts on this forum, is the fact that we don't have a job waiting for us in the Fall. It's quite disconcerting to say the least.

Hopefully those schools that are not going to the BKK fair but are interested in talking with us will use alternatives such as Skype. That, or we'll make enough contacts at BKK that schools will take a second look at us if their top candidates at other fairs choose an alternative position.

Glad to hear you and Mrs. Shadowjack are enjoying your post--also really enjoyed reading about your BKK experience last year--I think a lot of us were living vicariously through you!
PsychBean

ISS vs SEARCH BKK

Post by PsychBean »

Because of work it is difficult to attend fairs. With that being said I think I can do BKK with ISS for first 3 days... Is ISS BKK less desirable than SEARCH? I hear BKK SEARCH is intense. I am not a part of a team and so if my chances are diminished I will just continue to plug away with sending out resumes and having paid memberships.

So just wondering if it is worth it for me to go to ISS BKK but only for the first 3 days would it be a wast of time?
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

What do you teach? The ISS fair has a good number of schools many of whom are ready to offer contracts. Three days is enough at that fair. How competitive you will be as a single depends on what you teach.
Briz

Post by Briz »

If jobs at ISS fit you, GO!!!

Sending resumes at this time will probably not do much for you. After The main fairs are over, then schools go back and fill in using other techniques.

Do yourself a favor, increase your chances and opportunities, go to the fair. Worst case, you don't get a job, but make contacts, or even open a door for a late season opening.
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Since starting this topic, many jobs have come up in my area, including my "dream job". Glad I didn't give up my fair spot!
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

[quote="Briz"]If jobs at ISS fit you, GO!!!

Sending resumes at this time will probably not do much for you. After The main fairs are over, then schools go back and fill in using other techniques.

Do yourself a favor, increase your chances and opportunities, go to the fair. Worst case, you don't get a job, but make contacts, or even open a door for a late season opening.[/quote]

Plans have changed I can not attend the fair. And no responses to emails since we are in the middle of the holidays.