Housing in jakarta

Cheery Littlebottom

Housing in jakarta

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

Hi All
Hope the recruiting is going well.
Anyone tell me anything about housing in general for JIS? Or indeed in Jakarta in general?
Thanks
Cheery
Smurf

Post by Smurf »

xxx
Last edited by Smurf on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheery Littlebottom

Yup! Watch this space!
hairsonfire

Post by hairsonfire »

I'm not there, but have a friend who is...smallish places, but absolutely adequate--some are a ways from campus, and traffic is terrible. On the plus side, you probably won't drive in said terrible traffic, because you can hire a local driver for a few hundred USD per month. You'll probably end up with a cook/house cleaner as well. Campus has much of what you need day to day, so you be wading out into traffic to find a bank, which is nice. She is quite happy there.

Congrats on the job, how long did it take from your initial contact to the job offer? We've put out feelers to JIS but they've been fairly quiet in response.
Cheery Littlebottom

Interview shortly. Will let you know!
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

Good luck and keep us posted!!!!
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

JIS, wow, good luck! I would like to get back to SEA someday. JIS would definitely be one of the schools on my list.
PsychBean

jakarta

Post by PsychBean »

Any current info on this school?
Briz

Re: Housing in jakarta

Post by Briz »

I personally thought they were some of the coolest admin I met at the Bangkok fairs. The school looks fun and challenging to work.
Cheery Littlebottom

I agree with Briz. The interviews were a riot - lots of the usual stuff obviously, but tons of laugh-out-loud humour. We got the strong impression that these were serious educators who also took seriously the need for balance. We can't wait to go. What a team!
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

I would like to know how this school is and also how the housing is for families?

Also what are the work hours for staff? Is there a good work life balance?
Mr.C4ke

Post by Mr.C4ke »

Think carefully about moving to JKT. It can really polarise opinion. I absolutely hated it. Others can tolerate it, some love it.

Consider what you like doing when not working and ask those with experience there whether you will be able to do it. You may be surprised.
Gipper

Post by Gipper »

Most new families live in a complex 10k from school. School hours are 7:30am until 2:40pm. Work-school balance is definitely encouraged and possible.
Cheery Littlebottom

I agree, Mr C4ke, I am not expecting to particularly like Jakarta. I've been to a few places in Indonesia (as well as the inevitable Bali!) but I have never seen Jakarta. I envisage it as a sort of cross between Mumbai and Bangkok - with added nasty traffic!
I am just ready to get back to a truly "international" school, and to live in a bigger house! (I am so shallow!) Hah.
Plus I'm a diver so living in such a huge archipelago has some obvious attractions.
As far as I know, you can buy beer in the shops (instead of a rip-off government-run establishment), IKEA is due to open soon, and it has lots of greenery. Therefore, my pathetic little needs are met. :-)
Mr.C4ke

Post by Mr.C4ke »

Yes there is beer in shops (mini marts) but it's not easily found in small independent shops owned by the Muslim majority. What I missed was not being able to order/drink beer in local style restaurants, again for religious reasons. It became a choice between expensive bar/restaurants, foreign food restaurants or the local 'Mr. Pancake', which strangely enough sold small bottles of Heineken!

JIS is a well respected school, visited it once for a TOK workshop. I understand your reasoning, good luck :)