Advice wanted

ernieabroad

Advice wanted

Post by ernieabroad »

Having read the forums and reviews on the main site we would like a bit more advice please! My husband is a secondary maths teacher, teaching up to A level in a selective school with additional teaching and learning responsibility. In september he will have had 3 years experience post qualification.What is the chance with 2 children and a non teaching spouse of him getting into a top tier school? Are we being unrealistic? We are quite open to different parts of the world as long as its safe for the children of course. Any advice would be much appreciated. :roll:
sid

Post by sid »

It's pretty unrealistic. Which is not to say it never happens, but don't put all your eggs in that basket. Three years experience is not really that much compared to the other applicants you'll be up against, many of whom have teaching spouses or less dependents.
ernieabroad

Questions questions

Post by ernieabroad »

@ Sid

Having read the forum we were beginning to come to that conclusion ourselves so thanks for the clarity :)

Would lowering our expectation greatly increase our chances or is the competition for these positions as fierce?

Is there not such a shortage of maths teachers internationally as there seems to be in the UK?

We are pretty flexible as to country our main concern (like everybody else of course) would be a school that our children would settle reasonably easily.

Regards
dover2013

Post by dover2013 »

It's possible. If he has been teaching in a selective school, and is a maths teacher then he is in with a shot for some of the British International schools that model themselves on UK public schools and take pride in their examination results (A Level or IB) above all else. Progressive British schools or more "international" schools are a different kettle of fish (although not impossible, he might strike lucky and be in the right place at the right time) and might have to wait until he is more experienced. My advice is to apply, apply, apply for those posts that interest you. Good luck!
grdwdgrrrl

Post by grdwdgrrrl »

We did ok. Maths teacher with I.B. and Further Maths experience with a non teaching spouse and 3 kids. We did come from a top tier school in China and 8 years experience overseas. However, it took sending 18 c.v.'s and 6 interviews where some audibly groaned when they heard about the 3 primary aged kids. So, schools that are all about the money and don't like giving free tuition to two kids won't like you but.....you never know. Some schools actively look for couples and kids to promote stability. In our school, the singles don't often stay past one contract. Try Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia or a new school that's opening.
ernieabroad

Post by ernieabroad »

@ dover2013 and grdwdgrrrl

Thanks for the encouraging posts -

The message seems pretty clear.....apply apply apply.... :lol:

And develop a thick skin for all the rejection letters.... its nothing personal 8)

I never imagined that it would be so competitive - I guess it means that there must be a reason why so many people apply! it must be worth the perseverance! :D
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

I think the better schools are the ones who are usually able to absorb those type of situations. That being said, the 3 years isn't optimal for top schools. I would suggest that you try ESF in Hong Kong.
sid

Post by sid »

It's definitely not personal.
Apply, apply, apply, and open your heart to different sorts of possibilities. Top tier schools have their pluses and minuses, and there are tons of schools out there that people really enjoy teaching in, in countries that they really enjoy living in, but that, for whatever reason, will never be called 'top tier'.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

The general entry requirement is 2 years experience just to get in the door. 3 years with a trailing spouse and dependents is a non starter. Its not that hes not qualified but the top tier schools are going to have their choice of more qualified candidates.

Your looking more at third tier schools really. You need a school thats desperate and you need to re-evaluate what you consider safe.