Cover letter question regarding dependent children

Teachermama

Cover letter question regarding dependent children

Post by Teachermama »

Hey there, can anyone tell me, either from an applicant or admin perspective, when to mention dependent children and how much info to give. Cover letter? Resume bio page? Ages only? Names? Any pointers would be helpful.
KEL_81

Post by KEL_81 »

I'm new to this but I just put in my letter that I would be moving with my husband and daughter in the letter.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

I think you should slide it into a cover letter, it needs to be made obvious early because there are definitely schools out there that have restrictions on the # of dependents that are out of their control, so negotiating is not an option. This will save you time and energy as those schools can be crossed off your list sooner rather than later.
teachit

Teacermama

Post by teachit »

As a single parent I always made it clear within the first paragraph that I was a single parent with a dependent. I usually got back very positive responses. Alas that is no longer an issue for me as my"baby" is now in her third year of university; time passes so quickly. She is a true third culture child!
mollymillions

Post by mollymillions »

I have a line for dependents (SO and daughter) in with my age, nationality etc on my cv and I also make reference to them both in my cover letter. The age of children is relevant because the school needs to know which year, if any, they would be going in to in the school and this may affect their decision.
Teachermama

Post by Teachermama »

Thanks everyone. They are now on our cover letters with ages.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

On your online application and the first line including your age and family status of your cover letter or introduction email.