GEMS schools--student-centered, or run like a business?

hunnicub

GEMS schools--student-centered, or run like a business?

Post by hunnicub »

I'm looking into one of the new GEMS schools in Asia. Does anyone have experiences about what it's like working for this company? Are they run like a business, or do the genuinely focus on the education (and supporting teachers to be able to teach well)? Thanks!
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

I'm also interested in the one opening in Singapore next year. Any info on this one? Package looks really good according to the Search database.
justlooking

Post by justlooking »

The Singapore school is just breaking ground now. They are opening with the former head of school and director of operations from GEMS World Academy in Dubai.

I would say that for the most part, you don't feel the corporate side of GEMS on a day to day basis. But when you do feel it, it's frustrating. It's for-profit and ultimately, the bottom line dictates the decision making no matter how much they talk about education first. In Dubai, they are jamming new students into the school on a daily basis. There are several classes that are conducted in the hallways. And the shared spaces are very tight: auditorium, cafeteria, gym are all woefully insufficient. I doubt that things will be very different in Singapore after the school has been open for a few years.

The admin are mostly competent and trustworthy (mostly) but they have corporate breathing down their necks.

I wouldn't highly recommend GEMS, but you certainly could do worse.
chuck

Gems Schools

Post by chuck »

I agree 100% with the previous reviewer. You tend to not notice the corporate elements but when you do it is very frustrating.
hunnicub

Post by hunnicub »

Thanks for that feedback. One of my big concerns is "filling the seats" without thinking about classroom dynamics/balance. The classroom management issues that result are exactly what make my current school so frustrating.

My thought for now, though, is that this would be a short-term (2-year) job, and then I would move on again. I wonder if things would be fine in those first couple years while the school's reputation is still being established.