Reasons why there are already definite jobs for next year

Cheery Littlebottom

Reasons why there are already definite jobs for next year

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

I wonder what all the reasons are for the "definite" posts already showing up for August 2014?

I'm sure there are
1. Retirements
2. Early confirmations from staff who are definitely leaving
3. Expansions

However, do you think jobs get posted for other reasons, such as schools testing out the recruitment pool for possible future developments? Is it possible that some places are planning to non-renew certain staff?

I am recruiting this year and already there have been jobs for us in two really good schools. Gratifying and exciting, of course, just I sometimes wonder......

Yeah, just gossiping :)
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

@Cheery

How likely is it (do you think) that schools such as ASIJ and American Embassy New Delhi will hire before a job fair?

I'm new to all this and trying to figure out the best tactic. Every time I see a posting on SA should I send an email to that school? It doesn't seem to do any good as I haven't gotten much response.

Is it luck? Strategy? Should I just not do anything until I go to the job fair in Boston?

You seem to have a lot of knowledge about this. Would appreciate your input.
happygolucky

Post by happygolucky »

It is quite possible that schools that feel they have a good deal to offer or can add to the pot enough to make equalling the deal less likely at a fair are out to get the top talent early on? possibly for a bit less than they would need to pay in the first place.

Think about it, if I am happy to pay someone 70k a year, if I find a good candidate early on and offer 68k, the candidate knows that finding the 70k isn't going to be easy at a fair, so bites and says yes. You've saved 2k and got a talented new member of staff.

I was recruited in November for an august start.
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

@happy

Were you recruited at a fair or did you just Skype/email?
Cheery Littlebottom

Hi Guys
Well, I have been in 4 pretty damn good IS's in 15 years and I only went to a fair once. The latest I ever got a job was February - and it was my first job. I felt that the agencies were a waste of money and sent my recruiting materials to 10 schools. I got 3 interviews and 3 jobs, and chose the one which sent me onto my current career path.
Since then, I have had my contract agreed on by November at the latest.
I am booked into Bangkok fair, but expect to cancel. The only other time I went to a fair was to sign the contract for a job I already had.
I am very lucky - not some sort of teaching superman! I just happen to be in a high demand subject, with a high demand subject other half!
I think the good schools are flexible enough to recruit constantly. I have found that when it comes to recruiting (as others have said on this site) good schools encourage dialogue between staff and admin so that the process is above-board, organised and mutually agreeable. Admin in good schools know that what goes around comes around; you help your good staff get good jobs, and you get the same from your peers. As a consequence, I suspect that early indications that one may be leaving are likely to be the norm, hence one answer to my original question.
I am currently recruiting and have, once again, been humbled by the excellent support I am getting from my school.
If you think about it, the last thing you want is to hear, if you are looking at a new school, is that it is not offering proper support, references etc. It's the mark of a crap institution that a reference is used as a weapon to screw over staff. If you are a good school that recruits decent, qualified, staff then honesty between professionals and a fair reference should be par for the course.
I think, whatever the reasons for early availability, it behooves any serious candidate to be organised well in advance and to do their homework. Frankly, I was tapping my foot waiting to go "live" on Search on August 15th, and hope that our preparation and planning work in our favor!
Cheery Littlebottom

@newchapter
I think it highly likely that those schools will recruit before the fairs. I have submitted several applications already and have heard nothing. I am not too worried. In the past, the end of October through the end of November and early December is when the responses blossom into conversations.
If you consider the practicalities, then anyone involved in doing the recruiting will be happier having signed up folks before the fairs. They can take longer in chatting over skype, or even arranging to meet beforehand so they can make a pretty informed decision.
Also, if a job comes up that you really want, tell your director. If you have good admin, keep them in the loop. In this way, they know to whom you have applied and which jobs are your faves. That way, if they can , they can put in a good word.
Good luck
mollymillions

Post by mollymillions »

I'm also looking to move on at the end of this year and have been keeping an eye on the listings. I've not seen anything for my subject in a country I'm interested in but I'm also signed up for the BKK jobs fair and hoping to be able to cancel because I already have something. I've been surprised by how early the resignation date for some schools is but the few jobs I have looked at so far have all been in expanding schools. It does make me slightly suspicious when schools are advertising this early though!
sid

Post by sid »

In my experience, good schools recruit early because they can, and it makes life easier. If a school has the chops to attract good candidates, and it can snap them up early, they've saved themselves the trouble of dealing with it later. We all want to avoid the last-minute search when at best we expect to find a 'good enough' near fit.
And I don't think schools do it to shave a couple thousand off the contract. Most schools have pretty well established their pay scales. Never say never, but I'm not familiar with the practice of cutting corners this way.
mamava

Definite jobs

Post by mamava »

At my former school, teachers have already been asked to file as definitely staying, definitely leaving, or tentative. If you list yourself as definitely leaving or tentative, the school posts your job...even the tentative ones, which may very well end up staying. They want to jump early and get as many jobs as they can filled before the fairs.
mamava

Definite jobs

Post by mamava »

At my former school, teachers have already been asked to file as definitely staying, definitely leaving, or tentative. If you list yourself as definitely leaving or tentative, the school posts your job...even the tentative ones, which may very well end up staying. They want to jump early and get as many jobs as they can filled before the fairs.