ISBeijing

Cheery Littlebottom

ISBeijing

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

Hello all
Can anyone give me some concrete information on housing options at IS Beijing?
Many thanks
Cheery
wrldtrvlr123

Re: ISBeijing

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="Cheery Littlebottom"]Hello all
Can anyone give me some concrete information on housing options at IS Beijing?
Many thanks
Cheery[/quote]

No one with direct/current info. posted so figured I would throw my 2 cents in. I taught at another Beijing school in 2012 and knew many ISB teachers. They had an excellent housing package and were generally able to arrange luxury/Western quality housing, well within the allowance.

The school is out west in an expat bubble type area and many teachers chose to live out there in housing communities/compounds. Mostly these would be villas and townhouses with some apartment complexes as well.
The area has many western friendly markets, restaurants etc and is around a 30 minute taxi/cab ride from the city.

You could also choose to live closer in. We lived in Lido, in a VERY nice western style apt. complex and had several ISB/WAB teachers who were neighbors. We were 20/25 minutes from the ISB area and 10 to 15 minutes from some of the more popular dining/shopping areas in town. We had a 180 sq meter apt. that was more than sufficient for our family of 3. I am certain at ISB's allowance would more than cover what we were paying.

So, unless someone has more current/first hand knowledge, I wouldn't not consider ISB for housing reasons. And the campus is truly amazing.
justlooking

Post by justlooking »

We are interested in IS Beijing for lots of reasons including the housing allowance, but when we look on the pay part of this site, we can't ignore that just about every reviewer mentions the air quality and how that impacts quality of life. Is it really that bad even out where ISB is situated?
Cheery Littlebottom

Thanks for chiming in! Appreciated.
After your message I looked online at several compounds. Stuff our near ISB seems on the pricey side but the quoted package seems to cover many of the units.
I also read the posts on air quality. If we get the jobs there, I think we'll essentially take a budget of 5-6000USD and be ready to buy a bunch of air filters and humidifiers.
Thanks
Cheery
Cheery Littlebottom

After your message I looked online at several compounds. Stuff our near ISB seems on the pricey side but the quoted package seems to cover many of the units.
I also read the posts on air quality. If we get the jobs there, I think we'll essentially take a budget of 5-6000USD and be ready to buy a bunch of air filters and humidifiers.
Thanks
Cheery
Cheery Littlebottom

Thanks
Cheery
mamava

ISBeijing

Post by mamava »

I worked there for 5 years. If you are a married couple (with or without kids), the housing stipend will cover you living in the couple compounds near the school that are affordable--there are a number of compounds near the school, but many of them are outside of the price range. Capital Paradise, Dragon Bay, Gahoud, and Modern House are all within teacher stipend ranges, with Capital being the most popular with families with kids.

Single teachers generally prefer to live downtown and the areas they tend to choose to live in are the areas that are pricier because of the bars, restaurants, etc. Some single teachers have had some difficulties finding housing within the given stipend and many of them do pay a bit out of pocket to live in those popular areas. Starting next year, ISB will be paying a lump sum for housing and airfare, so there will be more flexibility in how teachers can use those funds, which should help.

The air quality is HORRENDOUS and there is just no getting around it. High quality air filters are a must in your home. ISB monitors air quality in the school constantly and has very good air filters to maintain good air quality in all areas of the building. Last year they opened two $10 million domes that allow children to have recess in there during poor air quality days, as well as use them for sports and PE classes. Those facilities (including the weight rooms) are available to the community after hours. It helps in terms of getting the kids access to being physically active, but it does wear on you over time. I would say that ISB has taken a very big issue very seriously and has been proactive in trying to make the best situation for its students.