Best school in Korea?

Open Communication

Best school in Korea?

Post by Open Communication »

Which are the best international schools in Korea and why?
inman

Post by inman »

I've been looking at Korea for a long time and feel quite certain I'll be there next year. A lot has happened in Korea, with some schools now benefiting from a lot of financial support as an effort by the government to develop a few very good schools that make expats less worried about relocating with families. The great thing for me is that the new schools opening up seem to not have the Christian requirement, which usually leaves me unqualified in Korea. I now have new hope.

Seoul Foreign School had a great reputation for a very long time. They have a campus in a prime location, have loads of money, great facilities and a good compensation package. Unfortunately things seems to have gone down a hill a bit there of over the last couple of years so I'd try and get some inside opinion before applying. It also has quite a heavy Christian ethos now and from what I understand employees are expected to follow that.

Dulwich has been open there for 2 years now, I think. Maybe 3.

The new Dwight school has great facilities. It's fully IB but this is only their second year in operation so it'll be a lot of work. Great if you're up for the challenge and are ready to dig your heels in for the long haul though.

Busan International Foreign School is probably the best option outside of Seoul (in my opinion). They're also IB, have good facilities and apparently now have decent packages. They moved campus a couple of years ago and grew a lot in a short time.

There's also one new school on Jeju that's quite appealing but I can't remember which is the better one. About 3 have opened up in the last couple of years and I'm struggling to get any real info about them.

Seoul Foreign School probably has the best reputation, but they've been around for a long time.

Hope this helps. Personally, I think korea is very exciting at the moment. I've been in the Middle East for a few years now and have probably stayed just a year longer than I should have. Looking forward to experiencing something different.
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

Busan International Foreign School is great - of all the schools in Korea that's the one I would choose. Branksome Hall Asia is the one on Jeju - it has terrible reviews so I'd stay clear. Also check the reviews of the schools in Seoul - they are a mixed bag, and most are very Christian-oriented. You will no doubt have to get references from your minister and such.
jbiersteker

Post by jbiersteker »

We're happy at YISS (but it is Christian), and did also enjoy our four years at SIS (which isn't Christian)...one thing to take into consideration is if you have kids. Most of the "international" schools have mostly Korean students, which is great for you as a teacher, not so good for your kids.
litgal

Post by litgal »

Anyone have insights about Asia Pacific International School, Seoul?

I have a Skype conversation with them on Friday. What is it like living in Seoul?
hmmmm

Post by hmmmm »

"Best school" depends on what criteria you are looking at. Seoul Foreign has one of the best reputations but the religious thing is big. I don't know any specifics about APIS but there is a religious side to this school as well.

I know a bit about the schools on Jeju if they are of interest to you.

As far as living in Seoul, it depends what you are looking for.

It is an easy city to get around with great and inexpensive transportation. There are also announcements and signs in English throughout the city both on the highways and in the public transit.

The weather is similar to the northern parts of the States with cold winters and hot summers. There are opportunities for hiking just a subway ride away and the airport is awesome.

There are a lot of clubs if you are young and into that and there are many military and recent college grad/esl teachers that seem to dominate that scene.

These are the first things that come to mind when I think about my time living in Seoul. It is not a bad place to live but I think a lot of it depends on your situation including your age and whether you have a spouse/kids etc. Happy to answer more specific questions if you post them.
litgal

Post by litgal »

Thanks for the insights Hmmmm

The weather sounds exactly like where I am coming from in the northeast....ughhh.. would have liked to get away from those cold winters!!! :)

I am definitely not into the club scene and not young either... I am single female with no dependents. Does that change your advice?? Quality of life that would interest me is ability to participate in cultural events, arts, travel, local community, etc.

I do realize there is a religious foundation at this school... I must say I have been quite surprised to read so much about the religious aspects of Korean schools on this site.. I had no idea.

What would you suggest that I ask about in terms of a single female living in Seoul? Housing, transportation, safety, etc.?
hmmmm

Post by hmmmm »

Unfortunately if you are looking to get away from the cold (I'm totally with you on that), Seoul is not a great choice. Winters are similar temperature-wise to New England but on a positive note, there is less snow.

As far as things to do, there are museums and performances and while it is a huge city, it is not overwhelming in terms of getting to places you want to go. I visited most of the big to-do sites and enjoyed wandering along the Han or exploring interesting neighborhoods. There was enough to keep me occupied especially when I included a few hiking adventures in and around the city.

I lived there for a year and I liked it. I didn't love it. I don't think it is the greatest location for a woman of your (our) age/status, nor is it the worst. It is a very safe place to live. I never felt afraid or uneasy in the entire time I lived there. I was never out late at night but knew younger women who were and they felt the same way about the safety of the city/buses/subways etc.

It is a decent place to start out as far as international teaching goes.
jessiejames

Re: Best school in Korea?

Post by jessiejames »

I've heard good things about Busan International Foreign School, but does anyone have information on Busan Foreign School? The last couple of reviews on the paid site sound more optimistic, so I'm hoping it is an improved place to work?
porter1

Post by porter1 »

Which schools are open to new teachers?
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

porter1 wrote:
> Which schools are open to new teachers?

I dont think there is any school that hasnt never hired a new teacher. Apply to all of them, you never know.
porter1

Post by porter1 »

MedellinHeel wrote:
> porter1 wrote:
> > Which schools are open to new teachers?
>
> I dont think there is any school that hasnt never hired a new teacher. Apply to all
> of them, you never know.

Thanks for encouragement, MedellinHeel, however, are there any schools that are more open than others in hiring a newbie. I do have a religious background and I am comfortable with that in the classroom. (I say this as many Korean schools have that component.)
Tyshine

Post by Tyshine »

I thought I saw one of the schools in Busan listed positions on TIE. Worth a look.
porter1

Post by porter1 »

Tyshine wrote:
> I thought I saw one of the schools in Busan listed positions on TIE. Worth
> a look.
Anything near Seoul?
Tyshine

Post by Tyshine »

porter1 wrote:
> Tyshine wrote:
> > I thought I saw one of the schools in Busan listed positions on TIE. Worth
> > a look.
> Anything near Seoul?

Yeah, I saw one school pop up within the last seven days.