Search Associates Internship

Lastname_Z

Search Associates Internship

Post by Lastname_Z »

Does anyone have any experience with this internship? Either having one in the school, or even being one themselves?

Do schools look at this teaching experience? Does it help with making connections in getting a job after the internship?

I'm a recent graduate with qualifications in History, English, and Spec Ed. I'm just looking at my options.

I'm flexible and willing to go anywhere. I'm aware that I'm not a competitive candidate. I did hear that I also have a chance of starting in a so-called Tier 3 school and slowly working my way up.

So I guess what I'm wondering is: will the internship help me if I want to apply to upper-level school/better regions, or is it better to just start in a lower-level school?

Any help would be appreciated with this. Thanks.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

When I was fresh out of college with my Elementary Ed degree and cert, I went to one of the SA fairs. I was offered two jobs: one as a classroom teacher in the ME and one internship in western Europe. I chose the internship in WE mostly for the location; I was young and didn't care about money.

I've now worked at a couple other international schools as a full teacher, and I've gone to several other SA fairs. I can tell you that nobody counts that intern year as teaching experience when they calculate my step on their salary scales. However, that intern year always gets brought up in interviews. Almost inevitably the interviewer and I end up discussing a mutual acquaintance we have from that school. So I do think it counts in some ways.

I chose to go back to my home country after that intern year to pursue another degree, so I don't know what would have happened if I'd tried to go straight from that internship to a full time gig with another international school.
Lastname_Z

Post by Lastname_Z »

Thanks Monkey. I appreciate the input.

I was wondering if anyone else had anything to add so that I can get a variety of responses. Maybe even from recruiters or people who have worked with interns.