Newton International School

dolphin

Post by dolphin »

I really do not know where to start?

I was offered a job in July and did heaps of paperwork to prepare for my posting there. It has been a long drawn process.

In the beginning of August, I got a notice that there will be a delay regarding e-tickets and work visas due to Ramadan and Eid. They pre-booked a flight for me but I checked with the airlines that it got cancelled. Newton told me that yes, it is pre-booked, but confirmed on the 19th of August. When I spoke with the airline, the airline told me that they had to cancel because Newton had a grace period up until 17th of August to buy the ticket or it will be cancelled.

I emailed Newton on the 23rd and HR told me that thy will keep me updated and my ticket is ok. It was then that I called that the airlines and got a completely different story.

I then emailed Newton, Sunday, August 25th and told them I checked with the airline and the ticket was cancelled. I still have not heard from them and I was supposed to leave on the 30th of August.

At least they should have the decency to email and tell me that they have rescinded the offer.
aj121

Post by aj121 »

Im in the same situation, lots of delays,supposed to fly out this weekend, things are only starting to get sorted now.

Have you had any more info? Which newton school are you going to?
qwertyuiop

Post by qwertyuiop »

Hey there

My friend and I are in the same boat. We were employed back in July and were told the same things that Dolphin was. We are supposed to leave this weekend on either the 30th or 31st, but haven't heard anything from HR. It has almost been a week since we last heard from HR, so we are beginning to become a little worried about the situation. I know the school year starts on the 8th of September, or at least it does according to their website, but it would be nice to arrive earlier and prepare for the coming school year.

Has anyone else heard back from HR? It seems a little weird that nobody has heard anything.
dolphin

Post by dolphin »

I have not been updated from HR because I decided to take another job that was my first choice from start ( The other finally gave me an offer)

I wrote HR on Tuesday and told them I was not coming. I did mention that it was a difficult decision as I put a lot of energy getting my certificates and diplomas authenticated through various channels at many levels from local to the federal government to Qatari Embassy. My breaking point was that I HR did not return my email.

They did get back with me with a new [i]pre-booked ticket [/i]just as I sent them the email that I am withdrawing from the process.

I am not suggesting that you withdraw, it was a difficult decision and I did feel bad about leaving them with one less teacher in KS1.

I think it is sort of out of HR control though, so I am not resenting them but a matter of clear communications.

[/i]
qwertyuiop

Post by qwertyuiop »

Thanks for the update Dolphin. My friend and I haven't heard anything yet, which is a little concerning. We have been offered other jobs, so are now considering our options. It is a bit of a shame that it has come down to a simple lack of communication.

Has anyone else been updated?
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

I've heard worse things about the school, find a new job....You probably will be soon anyway