Job possibilities for administrators

kleikm

Job possibilities for administrators

Post by kleikm »

I am looking for administrative position for my first overseas assignment. I have been an administrator in the states for 2 years at the elementary level as an assistant principal. I have a masters degree in educational leadership, as well as teaching certifications at the elementary level, ESL endorsement and major in Spanish. My husband is a math and computer teacher at HS level with a Masters as well. What are my chances of getting an administrative position and what are your suggestions for the fair? We have never been to the fair and not sure how to proceed. I wonder if it is realistic to get a job and what do I need to do to make myself and my husband marketable? Thanks in advance.
overseasvet2

Go for it

Post by overseasvet2 »

It never hurts to try. Some schools highly value U.S. experience and others prefer international perspectives. There could be schools who are gun shy since I have seen more than one U.S. administrator crash and burn in an international setting. It is just so different.

If you could get a few years under your belt as principal in U.S. your chances would go up exponentially. Lots of great v.p.'s already out here.
kleikm

Post by kleikm »

Any other suggestions?
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

Obtaining a vice-principal position is very competitive as most international schools prefer to promote from within. My advice is to try to get into the Search Cambridge fair or ISS Boston fair. Both fairs have separate sign up sessions for administrators. You may have to start at a mid or lower tier school to break in. You should subscribe to TIE as they have a number of job ads and you can start applying directly to the schools before the fairs.

Having a spouse who teaches HS math is a bonus, but you will have to win the job on your own obviously.
kleikm

Post by kleikm »

Thank you
Crgallen22

Post by Crgallen22 »

I have been applying for both teaching and assistant principal positions this year. My Master's degree is in administration and I am a licensed principal in the States. However, the only response I have received for AP positions is that "our school prefers to hire assistant principals with at least three years experience as assistant principals". I found this interesting as most assistant principals do not plan on staying assistant principal long-term. I think the other poster was correct when they said most schools promote from within. I currently teach at a smaller school with no assistant principal position in place. My leadership experience here is as lead teacher. So. it looks like more time in the classroom for me, which I still thoroughly enjoy, so no worries. Best of luck!
sid

Post by sid »

Have you tried looking at smaller schools or ones with lesser reputations? Schools generally consider that there's a huge jump in responsibility between teacher-leader and admin positions, and they prefer to hire either a known quantity (promote from within) or someone who has held an admin position before. In either scenario, they have some evidence to suggest that the person will be able to handle the responsibility.

That also explains why some schools will ask for at least 3 years prior admin experience. Generally those are the larger or better schools.

So, let's say you're an AP who has worked several years in a small or lesser-known school. You now want to move up the career ladder. You have 2 choices. Either look for a Principal position in a similar (small or lesser-known) school, or look for an AP position in a bigger or better-rated school. Either move is up the ladder, and either will prepare you for the next step. Which is better? Hard to say. There are often people who have been Principals in lesser-known or smaller schools, who move to AP positions in larger and better-rated schools. Because if you want to end up at the top, Principal of a large or better-rated school, you will have to first get admin experience in such a school. You are unlikely to move straight from a smaller school into running one of the top schools.

No matter the progression, the hardest thing is often to get that first admin post.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

CRgallen,

with your lead teacher experience and desire to move up the ladder, I would recruit as an admin candidate. You have nothing to lose and can still (at least with Search) have non-admin jobs you are looking for.

If you don't try, you'll never know!
Crgallen22

Post by Crgallen22 »

Thanks, Shadow. I am recruiting for both, but admin is listed as my top choice on Search. Just didn't want to get left with nothing. Both teaching interviews I have secured have been with amazing schools, but I haven't gotten any nibbles with my admin applications.