Rubbermaid containers for packing

wanderluzt

Rubbermaid containers for packing

Post by wanderluzt »

I know that this has been talked about and would like a few more details. Someone has mentioned using the Rubbermaid containers instead of luggage when bringing stuff with you. Some questions.
1. Where did you drill the holes on the container?
2. How many holes did you use?
3. Were they clear containers?
4. They obviously meet the airlines guidelines and restrictions about luggage? - anything I might need to know about this?
5. Someone suggested the soft plastic vs. the hard plastic, I am not too clear on this. Can someone assist me?
I also looked at the link for the container store about the storage locker on wheels and am also considering them as well.
I like the rubbermaid container idea b/c they can stack into one another.
Thank you.
micki0624

Post by micki0624 »

We used the Rubbermaid tough line. We didn't drill holes, we used duck tape. We purchased the 18 gallon size.
moose

Post by moose »

Don't cheap out and buy the Sterilite or "hard plastic" Rubbermaid line. You want the heavy-duty Roughtotes. (They are made of softer plastic that can be banged up without shattering.)
wanderluzt

Post by wanderluzt »

Thank you Moose and Micki. When you used the dick tape, did you go around the entire container or just tape the lid closed? Thanks.
wntriscoming

Post by wntriscoming »

I really wanted to write something about the dick tape, but I figure it'd be more helpful to write about the rubbermaid containers. ha ha

I had a friend buy them (walmart kind) and they were beat up SO bad when she arrived in Korea. They weren't really in good shape anymore--huge dents, etc.

I looked at the storage lockers on the container store (someone else on ISR recommended them) and those look durable. I'd shoot for those, if you have the funds for them.
anon

Post by anon »

We use the red lockers from the container store. However, the wheels came off the first go round. Other than that, they are sturdy.
Teachermom

Post by Teachermom »

We've used these for years and many, many international flights:

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/stor ... d=10004100

They have latches, so you don't have to mess with duct tape. Also, as I mentioned in the other thread, I put table cloths on them and create side tables in my new home, which is nicer than figuring out how to store that many suitcases.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Using zip ties provides more flexibility on when you seal the boxes. With zip ties I can wait till the boxes are weighed at checkin, you could do the same with tape but not as easily. I just drill the holes on the rim right at the corner. I have had bad luck with wheels breaking off so I don't bother. I have had good luck buying containers at Lowes.
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

My (very recent) experience:

We ran out of suitcases for our move last week, so we used an old Rubbermaid latching tote from Walmart that we had lying around. It looks approximately like this: http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Page ... D=RP091417

We drilled holes before we left home (six total -- one at each corner and one on each long side), but didn't put zip ties in until we got to the airport. It worked beautifully. Two notes: If you pre-drill your holes, make sure you line the lid up properly before you start zip-tying. (My husband drilled the holes, and I -- days later -- started sealing it up with the lid on the wrong way, so the holes didn't all line up. Oops.) Also -- this is probably overkill -- we left the bag of zip ties right on top, inside the tote, in case they had to search the box at security and needed to refasten it.

We used a colored container (blue bottom and green top, 'cause we're classy like that), and taped our name and destination address to one side and the top. We measured it to make sure it would fit within the airline luggage restrictions, then filled it with shoes and all the random little things we had to pack at the last minute, and ended up a smidge under the weight limit.

Our's didn't have wheels, but we had to use luggage carts anyway.

Disclaimer: Our trip was fairly easy -- two flights and two car trips. Nothing particularly rugged.

Also, I wouldn't use dick tape. It sounds painful and unnecessary. :)
anon

Post by anon »

Yes, tape is a sticky problem!

BTW, in addition to using the red containers we also use LLBEAN large duffle bags which we have had for years... they are now ugly, beat up and dirty, but they still have working handles and wheels. They do not stand up like some other duffles do. :(

The duffles hold a lot, and the red containers are good when packing plastic or liquid or more fragile items.

Wishing everyone the best on their moves...we are flying out in two days!!!
wanderluzt

Post by wanderluzt »

Thanks everybody for your responses. I noticed I misspelled Duck tape - opps :shock:
I am wrapping up in a few days and will you use your suggestions to pack.
micki0624

Post by micki0624 »

Our Rubbermaid made it with no cracks at all. We used dUck tape around the two ends and wrapped it around a few times. It turns out TSA opened it up to look, idk why, but then taped it back up. Everything worked out perfect with no problems.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I usually dont travel with more then 2-3 bags, but the few times I did I used space bag underbed canvas totes. The vacuum pack ones are under $20 each and the non vacuum canvas ones can be gotten online and during the back to school sales for under $10. I like them because they are cheap, can store things under the bed and if I unpack them they are just cloth and easy to stash in an apartment.