Gulf English School Kuwait

aj121

Gulf English School Kuwait

Post by aj121 »

Hi,

I have been offered a job at the Gulf International School Kuwait, can any one give me any insights into the school? What kind of reputation does it have and how do the staff get treated?

CHeers.
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

Stay away - it's very for-profit and the admins are useless.
aj121

Post by aj121 »

[quote="durianfan"]Stay away - it's very for-profit and the admins are useless.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. That doesnt sound good, can you give me any more to go on?

Is this from personal experience or just what you have heard? In what way are they useless?

This would be my first international teaching job so I need as much info as I can before accepting. Is it really bad or just not as good as the standard you would expect?
AnnieT

Post by AnnieT »

Join the pay sidemof the site. m There is tons of info on the school there.
aj121

Post by aj121 »

[quote="AnnieT"]Join the pay sidemof the site. m There is tons of info on the school there.[/quote]

Any chance you can fill me in on this info?! :D
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

They are all about the business. Admin act more like managers, and the parents run the show (its their money). If things like academic integrity and accountability mean anything to you then stay away. If parents dont like your grades (meaning giving out A's) then your grades will be changed and any problems will be your fault. If a student does poorly on an exam, its because you didnt make the exam appropriately.
The students have a very high degree of entitlement, and your really there to just hand out the grades. Lessons and learning are really just busy work to create the appearance of academics. Its al about getting into good universities really, and you will be reminded of that every time admin discuss "student success" If you can keep your head down and be a bobble head, then you can take the money pretty easily.
aj121

Re: Reply

Post by aj121 »

Thank you psyguy exactly the type of info I wanted, thanks for your time.
dimnds

changing the grades

Post by dimnds »

*Annie

I worked a summer and winter intensive camp in S. Korea at Inha University, and the students that did not want to do anything for an A grade..didn t have to. Grades got changed and it was the parents that wanted to see that their little darlings were so great at English. It didn't matter that they really couldn't speak a lick of it or write it. Their daily diaries I had to correct were riddled with errors repeatedly; yet, they were given good grades..A's to be precise and their prior exams that they failed were literally shredded before my eyes.

That is how it is in Korea in hagwons..and am sure in many other places as well.