Questions about marketing myself (no experience)

Lastname_Z

Questions about marketing myself (no experience)

Post by Lastname_Z »

I don't have experience outside of my year of practicum (where I did a lot of teaching and gathered references from that). I'm well aware that this isn't a great situation when applying to International Schools outside of maybe Third-Tier schools.

However, I'm interested in looking at ISs in Poland. Here I feel that I am not at as much of a disadvantage. I have family in Poland, I speak fluent Polish and have been in Poland for extended amounts of time before. Also, being of Polish descent, I can easily acquire Polish citizenship.

Usually schools have the 2 years experience rule because they want teachers to have the teaching skill set so that adjusting to a new culture won't be as burdensome for the teacher. In my case, I'd have no problem adjusting to life in Poland and would only have to focus on teaching.

So, I was thinking of contacting International Schools in Poland directly and selling myself in this way. So is this a good route? Has anyone else been in a similar situation (worked in the country of their heritage)? Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

First, the two year experience bar to entry has nothing to do with culture shock, it has to do with classroom shock.
Second, in most ISs the language of instruction is English, Polish would certainly help you in living in Poland, but as far as the classroom its not a factor in ISs.

There are three real ISs in Poland the American, British, and European schools. Where your Polish will help you is in the municipal "Euro" schools that have an international division. That would open those schools up to you.

The best point you have made is getting your Polish citizenship and passport. That would make you an EU citizen and eligible to work in schools throughout the EU, which would open up a lot of teaching options for you, in and out of Poland.

Having working papers for Poland will make you an easier hire, but your likely to get offered only a local package. The upper tier ISs nothing is going to compensate for your lite resume and lack of experience. Applying though and finding out is cheap.
sid

Post by sid »

PG is right, you're likely to be disappointed. Schools don't want inexperienced teachers because they are inexperienced teachers, and the schools aren't set up to support them. Most also expect a higher level of teaching than a newbie can provide. With no experience under your belt, the school has no way to judge whether you will develop into a good teacher, or will stagnate or burn out. So many teachers change professions after a couple years because they figure out they're no good or just don't like it. Of course that's not you, but the school doesn't know that...
But applying is free. Give it a go.