Professional Portfolios

Traveller1

Post by Traveller1 »

It beggars belief that the moderator of this forum continues to allow Dave Psyguy to continue posting. He is racist, bigoted, biased, ignorant about most of the contexts that he comments on and his information sources are out of date.

This forum is intended to help teachers who are new to the international schools scene and who are looking for serious, honest and useful information about international schools and the countries where they are located. His incessant contributions are not helpful and he drives experienced posters crazy with his opinionated and dishonest contributions.

Anyone who takes what he says seriously does so to their own disadvantage.

Moderator, you've already removed one of my posts on this issue yet you continue to allow him to post. It's ironic that this website claims to want to help teachers working internationally and is all for exposing bad management yet continues to allow this fraud to post. I have no problem with you removing my posts if you're going to be even handed in the way that you moderate all posts, but if you won't moderate Dave PsyGuy's posts when he clearly is out of line then this forum becomes a joke. ISR then becomes guilty of misleading teachers about the reality of the schools and contexts that teachers are wanting information about.[color=darkred][/color]
seinfeld

Post by seinfeld »

Maybe I'm living in the twilight zone or maybe I've lived and worked internationally for 10 years now but... I've never argued with Psyguy. I've always agreed with his opinions!
Sure, teachers need sugar coated answers now and again, an arm around the shoulder and to be told everything is alright but how about a reality check now and again!
In my opinion, from teaching internationally for 10 years, Psyguy is speaking from experience.
Michelle

Post by Michelle »

I have also found PsyGuy helpful and knowledgeable. Traveller 1 You have to agree that not everyone has the same experiences in life and not everyone sees things the same way. Bu, there are people who profess to be open minded educators, preparing our kids for the future, when really they are closed minded and only open to considering what resonates with their limited view of the world. I believe you fit that last description.

ISR, as far as I know, is what is called a third . venue. They just provide the space for us to carry on. I once had a post removed. I believe it was because I attacked, in a very unprofessional manner, another poster. Other than that I feel free to say what needs to be said. In this case I would say Traveller 1 is the racist, bigoted, biased, ignorant one.

I don’t always agree with PsyGuy and I don’t always agree with other people on this forum. But that’s the beauty of the free world - we have freedom of speech. So just because you have copped an attitude about PsyGuy that doesn’t mean the rest of us have. Fortunately you don’t have the powers to go along with your desire to shape and control the content on this web site.
Traveller1

Post by Traveller1 »

There was a time when I defended Dave PsyGuy, he does sound so plausible. He comes across as very knowledgeable and well travelled, as he has comments on just about every country and school on the planet.

What both of you appear to have missed are the reactions from people who have worked in the places and schools he comments on, that clearly show he doesn't know what he's talking about. It drives those people crazy because it misrepresents the reality and often paints those places in a bad light. If you think I'm racist, and there's clearly no evidence of it unless you've chosen to change the definition of the term, do yourself a favour and read his comments about schools in the Middle East, amongst others.

Seriously, if you value what he says, good for you, but it's certainly very clear that there are many, many posters here that don't and would appreciate it if he stuck to what he knew and the places where he's worked. If ISR is going to let him post information and advice that is clearly dishonest, distorted and racist I object to them removing any of my posts that point this out.
Michelle

Post by Michelle »

I think you have to agree that not everyone has the same experience at every school. I've been at two schools I absolutely deplored while other teachers thought they had landed at the end of the rainbow. What they saw in the places was just beyond me. On the other hand when I was in South America a group of teachers hated the school and organized against the director. I loved the place and could never understand why they were so unhappy - except for the fact that they were making themselves unhappy though no fault of the school.

In regards to PsyGuy, he appears to have had a very bad time in the ME and so his posts reflect that reality. I recommend you just ignore him if he bothers you. I have worked at one of the schools he has blasted and have to say he is pretty much on the money. Of course my experience coincides with his.
Traveller1

Post by Traveller1 »

I have no problem with your first point, that's been my experience too. But that's not the point with our friend, and precisely the point. Different people have different experiences but why would anyone wade in and bad mouth or praise schools, in places that they've never worked. It's one thing for people to disagree about the same school where they have worked, it's a whole different thing to take a side when you really have no idea.

Some people who have worked in the ME, and love the region, are deeply offended by his comments. The nature of his contributions run counter the the whole concept of international understanding. I'm not talking about saying a school is bad and the admin don't stand up for the staff, I'm talking about bad mouthing the arabic culture and peoples. Let's not focus too tightly on the ME, his opinions range far and wide across the planet.

I have no desire to work in the ME so why would I give advice on a raft of schools that I know nothing about. I mean, seriously, why? What makes this situation so absurd is that everywhere you look on this website his insidious presence is there. Even if I want to ignore his posts they're everywhere, like weeds.

The reason I've bothered to reply is that I'm incensed that the moderator/s of this forum, who will be under no illusion about the value of his advice, continue to allow him to post yet remove posts that point out that his advice is often misleading and dishonest.

Since you and seinfeld feel that I'm the bad guy here, there are at least 3 other posters on this thread, up to this point, that have issues with our friend. Surely you read the thread title and opening comment. Enough said.
Helen Back

Post by Helen Back »

[quote="oldmanCHAN"]Psyguy always says his responses come from his own experiences or from people close to him. What's wrong with sharing information of others? [/quote]

Well, he's never actually worked in the Middle East. The closest he came was a six week stint in Cairo, before he did a runner. Hence people's issues with his comments on the Middle East.

I'm not denying he has some good info in certain situations, but he constantly overstretches himself and doesn't know when to stop. Even if it's clear he is talking out of his rear end he still maintains his position and it becomes laughable (in a kind of psychotic / weird / psychiatric / health issue way).

Kinda sad and very annoying. He clearly has issues.
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

I also find Psyguy very annoying. Who replies to every single post?
dimnds

replying to every post

Post by dimnds »

Although I do not reply to every post due to not having experiences in some of the countries..I do reply to those I know about..

hagwons, age, science teaching vs just ESL, etc

I really do like hearing concrete answers to my specific questions and hope anyone who has anything to say that is ...on point...chime in.

More information is worth a lot...just as they say "wrong information is worse than none"
AnnieT

Post by AnnieT »

ME

When I was in the ME I was amazed by how many people loved it, I felt it was and educational and cultural cesspit. When i dug a bit deeper I found that most of the cheerleaders had very little experience of how good most schools were in other parts of the world or indeed any experience of education at all.

I normally agree with Psyguy when he is talking about things that I have personal experience of. Like him, I have been working IT for many years and I have worked in a few different places, If I want information about schools for my own use I can E-Mail many people that have first hand experience but lots of new teachers do not yet have a lot of contacts so use this board.

If Psyguy was not replying to every thread this board would be dead. This is an opinion board so post your opinion.

The way that the Psguy Haters conduct themselves on this thread and the restaint shown by Psyguy tells me a lot about the respective personal qualities of both.
Max007

Post by Max007 »

I enjoy reading psyguy's post. At the very least it is another perspective. People who take such great offence, and then resort to trying to "out" his real name on here, are highly vindictive and immature.....then again that is just my opinion.
inman

Post by inman »

AnnieT, I have to disagree with your suggestion that without Psyguy this board would be dead. There have been numerous posts in which people have claimed to be discouraged from contributing to the board due to ignorant, arrogant, false and antagonistic responses from Psyguy. If you know that whatever you say will be shot down in a way that makes you feel bad, then why would you write? No-one likes feeling bad. I also used to comment much more freely on this board, but now comment less so as i find it challenging to prevent myself from "getting into it" With Psyguy. I derive no pleasure from arguing whatsoever. Some have been offended to the point of leaving the board completely. The guy from ISB that deleted all his posts is a perfect example of this. I understand all the stuff about freedom of speech and opinions on a public Internet forum, and I'm fine with that, hence i generally don't join in anti-Psyguy threads. However, I personally believe that this board would flourish without Psyguy.
Mr.C4ke

Post by Mr.C4ke »

Good and bad can be found in most things. That's all I want to say about the posts on this 'forum'. Let's not forget the etymology of the word, and the rights of the individual to say and to listen to what he or she chooses.

PG has been called a troll on more than a few occasions, I personally think he is more of a personality who likes the last/definitive word. I however am starting to have my suspicions about a more recent poster to this forum. Or maybe there are desperate as well as skeptical teachers in this world.
Lopaka

Post by Lopaka »

I'm a newbie to IT...just took the leap this year. For quite awhile I just lurked in the background of this Forum...reading and gathering information from IS teachers way more experienced than I. At first I was impressed with Psyguy's responses and appreciative of the time he spent to respond. But then I became annoyed and downright angry with the content of many of his replies. Threads I truly wanted to hear more about became hijacked by PsyGuy and his nemeses. But now, I just chuckle at it all...PsyGuy has a right to write and express his/her opinion. I have the right to attend or ignore. Such is life.