UK Schools

mrspepper

UK Schools

Post by mrspepper »

Do UK schools (not international ones) hire American teachers?
pinkstar

Post by pinkstar »

The main issue would be the visa. You would have to have the right visa as they wouldn't sponsor you to come over. I only know one American working here and she is married to a Brit and trained here.
There are plenty of Australians working in London (they are able to get working holiday/ancestry visa) and they don't seem to have any problems with having trained abroad under a different curriculum. I know many who started out doing day to day supply until they got used the curriculum and took on a long term position.
This all related to primary. I don't know about secondary.
Rhysboy

Post by Rhysboy »

Another thing to bear in mind is that the job scene in the UK is very tight at the moment, especially if you are a primary school teacher.
There are lots of teachers looking for work, so you have to think what you can offer over and above a UK trained teacher.
Another way to think of it is: why would an American school employ a teacher from the UK when the are plenty of US trained teachers?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I disagree with some of the previous posters. Yes UK regulated schools will hire foreign teachers. The visa isnt really the issue, its why do the work...

1) Regulated schools wont give a foreign teacher an OSH package, so no airfare or relocation allowance, etc. Like most of europe you also wont get a housing allowance.

2) Until this past April a teacher had to do inducttion just as if they were a NQT to obtain QTS status. Many schools especially with a saturated market dont want to go through the trouble and work.

3) The Australian curriculum is a close relative to the British curriculum, not like a Canadian or American trained teacher. Bringing in such a teacher is the equivalent to hiring a teacher without even a PGCE, the methodology and pedagogy as well as regulations are very different. Why would a school hire someone who isnt really competitive with the rest of the market?
westcoaster

Post by westcoaster »

I know a lot of Canadian teachers who have taught in the UK. It is a great way for new teachers entering the job market to get teaching experience. I know there are a couple of recruiting companies such as Classroom America http://www.classroomcanada.com/html/Cla ... merica.htm

and Timeplan. I am not connected to either of those companies. The biggest issue (which others have mentioned) is getting a visa which you have to do all by yourself.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

It is very unlikely you would qualify to self sponsor yourself for a work visa in the UK. Though regulated/municipal schools will sponsor a work visa, what they wont do is give you any kind of OSH package. That means you need $5K to absorb your start up costs and thats assuming you dont have a family.
jahangeer100

Post by jahangeer100 »

Here is really awesome and most exciting publish. I completely believe the fact with you and would like to say thanks to you that you discuss this publish here with us. Keep it proceed please.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

mrspepper,

if you are a trailing spouse, you are allowed to work in the UK. If you are not, you must get a work visa. There are several international schools in London - ACSL, Cobham, and others. They will hire Americans.

Otherwise, it is a dog's breakfast. When I worked in the UK I had a few advantages. 1. At Easter break, there were over 13,000 positions posted on TESjobs. Now there might be 2,000 if you are lucky, at a major break. 600 - 800 at other times. That is for the ENTIRE UK! 2. My wife was going to work, so my school didn't need to provide me with a visa.

If you don't have an in and you are not a Commonwealth citizen, it is harder, but not impossible. I would advise contacting a placement agency who specializes in providing OTT (Overseas Trained Teacher) to schools. You might not find the pay great and it would be hard to live on. Most OTTs I knew lived communally with other teachers on working holidays from the same nation.

Good luck!