Standardized Testing and the PYP

StereoTyped

Standardized Testing and the PYP

Post by StereoTyped »

Hi all,

What are your thoughts on MAP/standardized testing and the PYP? Can the two mesh together or are they incompatible? Do any of your schools use MAP and/or other standardized tests? If yes, how much emphasis do they place on it?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

That's like saying, "Do apples and oranges mesh together?"

MAP testing is a test which indicates learning progress. The school I was at used MAP as a diagnostic tool to identify gaps in learning in specific subjects. The PYP is a holistic teaching approach.

They are not opposed, especially since the MAP test can be used to guide teaching practice or content, which can then be delivered using the PYP approach.
StereoTyped

Post by StereoTyped »

I'm well aware of what both are.

My question has more to do with if the two are compatible, and the amount of emphasis placed on standardized testing in international schools. I've heard that standardized tests such as MAP are not promoted by the IB. I can think of so many reasons why that would/should be the case. But, I guess it depends on how the results are being utilized.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I guess what I was trying to say is that it would depend upon the school and the school's intent. They can go together, or be a cross-purposes.

What it does do is show a snapshot on a day of the students' levels - and another snapshot on another day later in the year to show students' progress and assess areas where they didn't pick up the learning outcomes.

Some admin might use that to trash the PYP program. Others might use it to target specific teachers. Still others might use it to better develop the PYP curriculum to enhance student learning in the areas where they had gaps.

Is that better?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Will DIP exams are standardized tests. What the IB really frowns on is using standardized tests that are designed for diagnostic purposes as a supplement or ancillary to achievement testing.

Most teachers give a pre course assessment and use it diagnostically. Few IB schools gather at the start of the year and administer a formal standardized diagnostic assessement at the PYP level.