Unpaid salary - what would you do?

Nomad68

Unpaid salary - what would you do?

Post by Nomad68 »

Am at a school in Libya which has failed to pay the May salary. No real excuse given, just rumours and maybe students still owe fees. What would you do? Refuse to work or keep working hoping they will pay and also hope they don't also stiff on the June salary!? General feeling is the school is in financial trouble...
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

Nomad, over the years I have three times been in this situation.

The first time was in Thailand. I reported for work and the school said they were terminating my contract and would not be paying me what was owed. I threw a fit right then and there, screaming and threatening. While I was raging, they had apparently called the police and when the cops arrived, I was hauled off to jail.

This is NOT how to handle the situation but while I spent the night in jail, I thought how to properly handle a school not paying wages and it dawned on me: go to the parents.

The second time, I was in Taiwan and again was terminated by phone and the school said they had a policy that if the contract wasn't finished for any reason, they deduct NT$10,000. I calmly and politely told the man "No problem, I'll stand outside and ask the parents for the money when they drop the kids off." He about jumped through the phone and got very loud so I hang up on him. Half an hour later, he called back and said to come pick up my final pay and I got all my money.

The third time, I was terminated in Portugal and I wasn't given proper severance so again I said, no problem, I'll call the parents and ask them for financial assistance. The principal, who was always calm and collected, again about jumped through the phone. I remember his words to this day: "That CANNOT happen!" I was given proper severance.

For whatever reason, International Schools do not like parents involved in these pay disputes and just the threat of involving parents seems to be enough to get schools to pay what they owe. My guess is, parents would help financially if they were asked and schools want to avoid that scenario.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Nomad, since you're obviously not all being terminated en masse, I would give the school a little more time. This is putting everyone in a precarious situation, but heavens--Libya--I admire you and the school for trying to provide the students with an education. No doubt times are hard for everyone, including the admin and parents. I'm probably in the minority around here, but for me, the students come first, and not showing up for work does them a disservice.

In the meantime, you might also get together a group of rational thinkers and ask politely for an appointment, then calmly sit down with the admin and ask for an explanation, and try to get a firm timetable for payment, even if it's not the full salary. Tantrums, anger, threats at this point won't get you anywhere. One person should do the talking, not everyone shouting and getting upset.

Maybe Sid or Walter could weigh in from an admin POV about your best move.
sid

Post by sid »

I wish I had some wisdom here, but it's a pretty sticky situation you're in. I count myself lucky that I've never experienced such a thing personally.
I agree with the advice to stay calm, organize, and send a calm rep or reps to talk with whomever you can get to, as far up the chain as possible. Anger, accusations and rumors will not help at all. They may be personally satisfying, but you won't get any closer to the money. In fact, you'll probably end up further away from it.
In some countries I'd suggest a lawyer's help, but that's more useful in some countries than in others.
If the school has a future, it will have to pony up sooner or later. Staying calm, being rational and working out solutions will be your best bet.
If the school doesn't have a future, what then? I don't know.

Options include contacting parents, either overtly or covertly. A quiet word to someone who can be trusted to spread the word in the community. An article in the local press (stick to the facts, please, and avoid speculation and unfounded assumptions - bad press will annoy the school owners enough without making it worse through lies and innuendo). A letter, calm and rational, to the owner, school board president, anyone you can think of. Contact the school's accrediting body. Etc, etc.

But those options will only work if there is money to pay you, which none of us know. You might be able to pressure the school into paying you, but not if they're well and truly and legally broke.

It is a very bad sign that the school has gotten to the point where staff aren't paid. You're on the ground, and probably better able to judge whether this is a case of politics and power (we can do what we like, and we don't feel like paying you), or a case of financial broke-ness. If it's about power, you might get your money in the end, but I'd still be making plans asap to move elsewhere. If there's a legitimate shortage of money, but you believe in the goodwill of the owners/admin/board, than whether you want to stay depends on how much money they'll be able to give you, compared to how much money you feel makes it acceptable for you to stay on.

Best of luck to you and lots of warm wishes. I hope it all turns out really well.
Roberto

no pay

Post by Roberto »

I have known many folks who have been able to sue or threaten, which loosened things up. But ususally you get beat. Always get your money before you leave and accept nothing verbal only written. Our only recourse is sites like ISR. Then when you catch the adminstrator at a fair, catch them in the parking lot. The behavior of many adminstrators deserve worse. There were blogs about suing from the USA or home country. I am going to look into it next time I am stateside. File a civil suit in the USA against the school and the administrators responsible?
mbovi

Post by mbovi »

[quote="higgsboson"]Nomad, over the years I have three times been in this situation.

The first time was in Thailand. I reported for work and the school said they were terminating my contract and would not be paying me what was owed. I threw a fit right then and there, screaming and threatening. While I was raging, they had apparently called the police and when the cops arrived, I was hauled off to jail.

This is NOT how to handle the situation but while I spent the night in jail, I thought how to properly handle a school not paying wages and it dawned on me: go to the parents.

The second time, I was in Taiwan and again was terminated by phone and the school said they had a policy that if the contract wasn't finished for any reason, they deduct NT$10,000. I calmly and politely told the man "No problem, I'll stand outside and ask the parents for the money when they drop the kids off." He about jumped through the phone and got very loud so I hang up on him. Half an hour later, he called back and said to come pick up my final pay and I got all my money.

The third time, I was terminated in Portugal and I wasn't given proper severance so again I said, no problem, I'll call the parents and ask them for financial assistance. The principal, who was always calm and collected, again about jumped through the phone. I remember his words to this day: "That CANNOT happen!" I was given proper severance.

For whatever reason, International Schools do not like parents involved in these pay disputes and just the threat of involving parents seems to be enough to get schools to pay what they owe. My guess is, parents would help financially if they were asked and schools want to avoid that scenario.[/quote]

Wow. You've been terminated A LOT. Judging from how you handled things and some of the comments that you have had on other forum posts ( e.g. Liking Chinese students for they like to listen and you like to lecture, teacher-dominated class in the 21st century )....I can probably see why.
sid

Re: no pay

Post by sid »

[quote="Roberto"]I have known many folks who have been able to sue or threaten, which loosened things up. But ususally you get beat. Always get your money before you leave and accept nothing verbal only written. Our only recourse is sites like ISR. Then when you catch the adminstrator at a fair, catch them in the parking lot. The behavior of many adminstrators deserve worse. There were blogs about suing from the USA or home country. I am going to look into it next time I am stateside. File a civil suit in the USA against the school and the administrators responsible?[/quote]

Let's acknowledge that it's not generally the administrators' decision not to pay salaries. That comes from the owner or the board. Any administrator trying this on without support from above, would quickly be sacked.
But if the board or owner goes down this road, the administrators becomes pawns and victims too. If these admin choose to stay on and willingly assist defrauding teachers, while still getting their own salaries, well, that's not cricket. It's a true test of character for an admin. They may be as surprised as everyone else when the bad news comes. They may be unable to do anything about it - they don't have the authority to sign checks without the owners/board's permission. But when the situation gets to this point, what do they do? Be as honest as possible with the teacher? Attempt to find solutions? Mediate between teachers and the owner/board? Work out a long-term plan for the school's financial success (assuming the problem is actually one of a cash shortage, and not just a power play)? An administrator can be caught in this horrible situation, same as a teacher could.

On the other hand, an administrator could make things worse. They could actively participate in deception and defrauding of the teachers. They could look to their own pockets and their own future, without regard for the teachers. And clearly that would be unacceptable. Highly unacceptable.

But it's important not to assume that admin is the problem in this problem. They might be, but then again, they might not be. Get the facts, then decide.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

Well, the OP mentioned no information has been provided by the school (from admin or others in charge) as to why salaries haven't been paid. I'd say that's a strike against the admin. Even if they cannot do anything about paying salaries, a lack of communication in regards to the issue is quit damning in my opinion.

I'm actually impressed by higgsbosson's approach in talking with parents directly, though I hope to never have to use that tactic myself.
Roberto

admin´s fault

Post by Roberto »

@sid

I was actually an administrator at schools where the owners defrauded and wrongly fired, (and worse). I was stuck. I had a trailing spouse and a 2 year old child. I did everything I could but I should have resigned in protest. I regret not making that decision. Live and learn I suppose and try to make it up to those who have been wronged if you can. I believe if you accept an administration position you accept the responsibilty of what that school does. That being said, I am finally in the position where I do not have to work for unscrupulous/criminal school owners anymore. I was naive when I entered the game and paid for it. I still harbor a great deal of resentment, I lost a lot of sleep and money over of these experiences. Youre right. in some of these countries, there is no recourse. I guess educators need to know that going in...that there is a risk in certain countries and more specifically 3rd tier (¨more local¨) schools.
Nomad68

Resolution

Post by Nomad68 »

I am pleased to report that salaries were finally paid today. However, the damage to staff morale and confidence in the school cannot be underestimated. To answer some of the points raised by your excellent responses...

Management seemed to avoid the issue and hearing from your Principal that he does not know why staff aren't being paid does no good at all. When this response is repeatedly given whenever he was asked about the issue you assume either he is lying, incompetent or the owners are up to no good!

In our case the school owners did not have the funds to pay us as parents had not aid school fees. The school is for profit, if fees aren't paid there is no provision for staff wages since the owners refuse to spend any of their own money beyond the minimum.

Approaching parents at this school is difficult if not impossible as you have no idea who their family/tribal ties are with. That approach could go sour very badly and very quickly.

I agree that any action taken by teachers affecting students' education is a bad outcome but I am not a charity worker and I no longer allow my good will and professionalism to be exploited by unscrupulous and/or incompetent owners/administrators. If I don't get paid my own children suffer. Everyone makes their own decisions but my family and kids come first.

Libya - a tough gig I cannot recommend as the country is unstable, still dangerous and lacks amenities above hardship level. Salaries are not great, certainly not enough for a hardship post. I don't know of any schools here that pay end of service bonuses. Life is work and back to your accommodation. It's a locked down, very low-profile basic lifestyle for expats. Totally unsuitable for families or single women who do not want to marry or date local guys.

Thankfully my pay nightmare is over for another month but we expect to face it again sooner rather than later.
AnnieT

Post by AnnieT »

Is this the same school that has just advertised a load of posts?
Nomad68

Libya

Post by Nomad68 »

Possibly, as you can imagine Libya is not a popular destination - Benghazi (and Tripoli) still have serious security and safety issues. Yes, 'my' school is currently recruiting.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

Recruiting thirteen teachers on Search, including a maternity leave.

Have you not considered leaving? I don't think anyone would hold it against you. I can't possibly imagine why anyone would put their kids through something like that.
Nomad68

Libya

Post by Nomad68 »

In conclusion - I decided to leave my school in Benghazi, Libya over concerns about safety and the ongoing issue of late salary payments. During the last week of term before the summer recess staff still did not know if they would be paid the June salary, the July salary in advance or the outgoing part of the annual flight!

On the very last day of term payment was still delayed and some staff considered the drastic action of stopping the principal from leaving as he was scheduled to leave mid-day. Clearly, he had no interest in whether his staff were paid but then he was employed by GEMs not the school. Interestingly, he was accompanied out of the school by his GEMS area manager and a rather large, tough looking military type - without saying a word to his staff who were clearly waiting for pay!

In the end salaries and fees were paid but it was up to and beyond the end of the school day with many staff completely stressed as they were due to fly out the very next morning. This is no way to treat staff.

Plus with the growing threat of violence against expats, which culminated in the dreadful murder of a young American man last week, I decided to leave and am happily working for a far more professionally minded, caring school.

Thanks for your replies. I hope never to have to face late or missed salary payments and since I will eventually return to the EU zone I will at least have better legal protection in future.