American School of London

BigSky

American School of London

Post by BigSky »

I've been looking around and there's not much info on them. Anyone out there know about their hiring practices, salary, etc?
Thanks in advance :)
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

I interviewed with them for a lower-school position back at the Cambridge Fair. It was tough to just get the interview, and I ultimately did not get the job. However, the interview was very nice--professional and a good conversation. Their presentation at the fair was good too. They really touted their PD opportunities.

I don't have any information about actually working there. My Search associate did tell me that money would be tight(er) there. But it's Europe, so no big surprise there.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Good school for students and staff; however, I think a fair number of local hires of spouses working in London. London is expensive, be warned!
indogal

Post by indogal »

I have a colleague who used to work there. She raves about it. Unfortunately they often have very few positions open because some employees stay there for quite a long time - like 20 years.
gr8teach

Post by gr8teach »

I've often wondered the salary of ASL. I've taught many former students and worked with many UK staff who have taught at prestigious private schools in London ( ie: Dulwich and Harrow-- the real ones, not the international branches lol).

I wonder what the salary is like especially compared the after mention private schools? Anyone know?
D. Vader

Post by D. Vader »

I interviewed with them a few years ago and I really was impressed with both the professionalism of the admin and the academic level of the school. I can't remember the particulars of the salary structure, but I recall after crunching the numbers that at the end of the year I would just be a little above breaking even (factoring in some limited travel and a football match or two). I also think I would have had to find my own flat and in no way would I be living anywhere close to the school as it is located in St. John's Wood--Google a property search in the area and you'll see what I mean. Ultimately I was not offered the job, but had it gone the other way I would have most likely accepted despite the limited income. Why? Because it's London!!
gr8teach

Post by gr8teach »

My impression has always been you'd make more money teaching at a local UK school...I mean obvious a good school, not a public school but a relatively prestigious private institution with UK curriculum would pay more.

Feel free to chime in though, because this is only a guess based on suggestions from friends.
Lagringa

Post by Lagringa »

I have friends who have been there in the past and are there currently. I myself have tried to get interviews more than once and never had luck. They are very selective and, as mentioned, have very few openings each year. I think people do stay a long time. I'm not sure of the specifics, of course, but I do believe that the salary is quite generous (I want to say it starts around US$60,000 or so) but that in London, especially with housing, it doesn't get you that far. I think your income is also taxed at UK percentages, probably pushing 25%. I believe you can live comfortably and still be able to travel, but you have to be careful with it and probably won't save much. But I wouldn't be my life on any of this info, best to ask the school directly if you even manage to get that far.
Bosley

Post by Bosley »

I know people there. The package is very good compared to other schools in London. The people I know are making around 50,000 GBP.
BigSky

Post by BigSky »

Thank you so much to everyone! This is exactly the kind of info I am interested in. Please keep it coming. :)
VA75

Post by VA75 »

I taught in England for four years and loved it. I made 34,000 pounds but keep in mind my housing and utilities were provided. Had my husband not been working, we wouldn't have saved a single dime. (We returned to the States in Aug. 2011) England is very, very expensive - - but it is very, very worth it.
I would go again in a heartbeat even if I wasn't able to save anything because the quality of life is superb. I had two children whilst there and although the healthcare wasn't amazing it was adequate and free.
The London airports are wonderful for getting cheap tickets all over Europe. We flew to Bergamo, Italy roundtrip for 50 pounds - 2 adults and one baby. If you watch the value airlines then your holidays can be done on a reasonable budget.
My boss interviewed with ASL for a principal position in 2010. She returned to our school and said she just wouldn't be able to make the salary stretch since her husband was a trailing spouse. She said the facilities at ASL were the best she had seen at an international school, and since she frequently traveled to other schools across Europe and Asia for their accreditation visits I certainly trust her perspective.
You won't make any money, but you will enjoy the quality of life. Had we not needed to return to the States because of family health issues at home, we would still be there.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

ASL is the elite school in the region. The salary is very good but the cost are extremely high, most ITs are lucky to break even. They have very low turnover, and only a handful of positions available each year.

I would work their for the experience, but it isnt my dream position.
shadylane

Post by shadylane »

Last edited by shadylane on Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoplay

Post by yoplay »

Shadylane, just curious when this job fair was? I have heard that at ASL with 10 years experience and a masters, you're making in the ballpark of 60,000 pounds. In my experience, I have yet to hear of a British school (public, private, international, or local) that comes close to that. That's just my experience though, so who knows.

Yeah, London is expensive, but on that salary you could be afforded a very nice lifestyle with travel, and you would still be able to put aside some money (not as much as a top tier in Asia or ME, but still...) Not to mention whatever retirement contributions the school makes.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@shadylane

I agree with yoplay, the salary in the late career range at ASL tops anything available for a teacher in the public/regulated schools, certainly those in London.
In addition the local regulated/public schools only provide a local package, they dont give an OSH package as ASL does.