When Does Search Membership Start?

IAMBOG

When Does Search Membership Start?

Post by IAMBOG »

I've completed the application, paid the money, just waiting for one more reference to come in.

When does the membership actually begin? After payment, after completion of all info requested (I'm currently pending), or after access to the database is given?

Just wondering.
Yantantether

Post by Yantantether »

They are the ones who can give you a definitive answer, so I would just email them this very question. They are pretty good at getting back to members.
Gipper

Post by Gipper »

After everything has been submitted then that "pending" you see will change to show that you are active and only at that time will you be able to access the database.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

The "membership" starting point is sort of moot, IAMBOG. Once you land a position, you are denied access to the database until you activate your next search. For instance, we signed up in October 2012 and got positions in January, 2013. The next week our database access went to inactive. However, in August 2015, we can reactivate our job search and would have access until October 2015, when we would have to pay our fees again.

Also note, you get one free job fair. After that, it is 75 dollars per person per fair.
Open Communication

Post by Open Communication »

edited.
Last edited by Open Communication on Thu May 30, 2013 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

@shadowjack

Can you explain your post above a bit more? You can reactivate your Search account without charge for up to three years?

I joined in November 2010. Accepted job at a fair in 2011. Does this mean I can reactivate in August this year when I start looking and request a fair invite, all without paying? And I wouldn't have to pay again until November?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

This is directly from the Search site...

We charge a modest database user fee/registration fee of $225.00 for teachers (exception U.K office), and $100 for interns. Search Associate candidates appreciate the low fees in comparison to those of other organizations, especially as this fee covers a period of three years (or until a candidate accepts an offer, whether obtained through Search Associates or other means, whichever comes first).

Oh oh - I missed the (or until a candidate accepts an offer).

So I guess no go on the three years...

Me bad. Mea culpa. Where's my sword? :-)

I guess if it sounds to good to be true, it is.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

I seem to have full access. I'm looking for August 2014.
National

Post by National »

When you get access depends on your associate. My husband and I had all of our stuff done at the beginning of June and my associate waited until the end of July to give us access. We were registered in June of 2012 and looking for August 2013. He said it was because desperate schools see your listing and ignore your availability date and try to poach you for the school year about to start. My associate didn't want to take the chance of us breaking contract with our current school to take a last minute job offer. I understood and when we were given access at the end of July, we got two job offers from schools asking us to start that August.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Depending on your associate you should have access when your application is complete and you are "active". Your expiration date is three years from your activation date. When you notify SA you have a position your access is revoked and you have to pay the $225 again which gets you another three years.

Some people, myself included dont notify SA when were hired so we can continue to use the database.