American International School of Johannesburg

senator

American International School of Johannesburg

Post by senator »

Does anyone have any ideas?

Particularly about the city. Costs? Crime?

Again, any help is appreciated.
cdn

Post by cdn »

Wife and I went to their presentation at one of the fairs, and we we very impressed. They didn't get into a lot about the life there, other than briefly saying that crime is a problem. The school and their service programs look great. The Director was rude and condescending, though. We turned down an interview because of his attitude.
jbiersteker

Post by jbiersteker »

I found that they were being very "picky" at Cambridge in who they were letting interview. It was basically IB experience or no interview.
Tater Tot

In Africa

Post by Tater Tot »

I am currently in Southern Africa, I also spoke to the folks over at AIS Joburg and they were very rude.

I would not recommend that any international teacher come to South Africa, especially the American International School. It is like the USA on steroids and unless you arrive with your own money to invest in getting settled, you will suffer.
kayaker

Post by kayaker »

Not much courtesy from the elementary principal regarding communication. He got my hopes up then stopped communicating...I decided to look elsewhere, especially in the wake of the negative reviews.
senator

Post by senator »

Thanks, Guys.

I thought the school head - Andy Page Smith - was British or an Aussie or Kiwi?

Why would the school be like the USA on steroids?

Can somebody elaborate also on South Africa as a country to spend 2 years in?

Thanks again.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

I know two folks who work(ed) at another international school in J-burg. They've both said it is a hard place to connect and make friends with locals. I get the sense it is a rather insular place if you're not from there. One has since moved on while I think the other still lives there.
mamava

Post by mamava »

For what it's worth, we had trouble getting any resopnse from them as well, and I think we're strong candidates. That being said, we have good friends who have been there for 3 years and really like it. They came from one of the elite schools in Asia and chose to go back to Africa. They said that their start-up costs were a lot higher than they had anticipated, things in SA are expensive (it's a LONG ways from anywere). But they have LOVED the weather, the outdoors lifestyle, and attitudes and spirit of life there. I think the school has a fair share of local SA citizens that work there. Crime is always an issue, but they said the location of the school is such that they haven't worried about crime, although they do exercise caution. Africa is not for everyone, even developed SA.
Buzzkill

Jo-burg

Post by Buzzkill »

"I would not recommend that any international teacher come to South Africa, especially the American International School. It is like the USA on steroids and unless you arrive with your own money to invest in getting settled, you will suffer."

I am not sure this place is USA on steroids. Andy is an Aussie and he tends to hire Australians. I doubt there are too many Americans actually on staff. Andy tends to hire those he knows from my previous schools and he has hired some dubious characters. As several posts have mentioned, he is rude, arrogant and condescending. I have met many teachers over the years who have interviewed with him or met him at fairs and they all say the same things that some of you have said - Andy's personality is a major turn off. I am surprised his name has not appeared more on the board or in reviews at his current school. Jo-burg can be very dangerous, and I have read that is among the most dangerous cities in the world. I am sure South Africa is a wonderful country to visit as a tourist. Not sure about living there.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

Fair warning: The only information I have comes from a friend of a friend. But from what she said, the admin was pretty awful during her interview. Similar to what others have posted: rude, arrogant, and combative during the interview.
mbovi

Post by mbovi »

Ewww. Just reading the posts from people about this school's administrators would be enough to turn anyone off. Why would anyone want to suffer under a rude, condescending, combative administrator who will not support you in a difficult, crime-ridden place?!