Moving to China...air purifier questions

mamava

Post by mamava »

Our house in Beijing is between 225-250 square meters. We run a purifier/humidifier in the main living room, and 3 of the bedrooms (the bedrooms are kept doors shut at night). We really need 2 more, given the size of our house, to adequately clean the air. If you had a 2 bedroom apartment, you'd want 1 in each bedroom where someone was sleeping and 1 for sure in the main living area.

My comment about construction is really moot now. When we first arrived 5 years ago, I think having very tight windows may have made a difference, but the pollution has gotten so much worse that I don't think that makes a significant difference any more (and maybe it never did). Our walls turn gray from the dirt in the air. You need VERY GOOD QUALITY air purifiers and humidifiers here.

We are really lucky because our school has massive air handlers and the air quality is tested constantly. Rooms near open doors were given purifiers this year until the school can renovate the air cleaning system even further to make sure the air is really clean. Knowing that my kids and me are in a clean air environment during the school day and in the evenings/night keeps me sane.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="mamava"]Our house in Beijing is between 225-250 square meters. We run a purifier/humidifier in the main living room, and 3 of the bedrooms (the bedrooms are kept doors shut at night). We really need 2 more, given the size of our house, to adequately clean the air. If you had a 2 bedroom apartment, you'd want 1 in each bedroom where someone was sleeping and 1 for sure in the main living area.

My comment about construction is really moot now. When we first arrived 5 years ago, I think having very tight windows may have made a difference, but the pollution has gotten so much worse that I don't think that makes a significant difference any more (and maybe it never did). Our walls turn gray from the dirt in the air. You need VERY GOOD QUALITY air purifiers and humidifiers here.

We are really lucky because our school has massive air handlers and the air quality is tested constantly. Rooms near open doors were given purifiers this year until the school can renovate the air cleaning system even further to make sure the air is really clean. Knowing that my kids and me are in a clean air environment during the school day and in the evenings/night keeps me sane.[/quote]
---------------------------------------

We had a 180 sq meter apt. and never got around to getting an air purifier in our 2 years in Beijing. No one in the family seemed worse for wear. That being said, having one or more can't hurt.
Buzzkill

Is it worth it?

Post by Buzzkill »

After reading several of these posts and the numerous articles as of late on China's pollution problems, the questions still begs...is it all worth it in the end? I know China is the 'hot' place to teach now and the money can be good. However, is it worth your health or your child's health? I guess you can imagine my answer to that question.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Is it worth it?

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="Buzzkill"]After reading several of these posts and the numerous articles as of late on China's pollution problems, the questions still begs...is it all worth it in the end? I know China is the 'hot' place to teach now and the money can be good. However, is it worth your health or your child's health? I guess you can imagine my answer to that question.[/quote]
-------------------------------------------------------

Possibly, but you are making assumptions that teaching in China necessarily means trading someone's health for financial opportunities. Many people take advantage of those opportunities with no more cost or risk than they would find in many parts of the world (including parts of the US).

There may be an elevated risk due to pollution, or food quality etc but there are risks no matter where you are in the world (e.g. earthquakes, hurricanes, terrorism, crime, tornados). Everyone must make their own decisions about whether risks outweigh opportunities.
Buzzkill

China

Post by Buzzkill »

"There may be an elevated risk due to pollution, or food quality etc but there are risks no matter where you are in the world (e.g. earthquakes, hurricanes, terrorism, crime, tornados). Everyone must make their own decisions about whether risks outweigh opportunities."

Fair enough, I see your point. One thing is a natural disaster and possibility of getting mugged, and another thing is the day to day grind of living and breathing smog, dealing with burning eyes, and blowing black snot in a congested city.

Having traveled in many of Asia's largest cities, it's not for me. We can agree to disagree though and say to each their own. I am sure there are many positive things about teaching Chinese students and these factors, along with a decent salary, may make one forget the level of pollution in a city like Beijing.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

Buzzkill, I wouldn't really say China is the 'hot' place to teach right now, just that there are many schools in China, so if someone really wants to work there, a job can be found. But if you're teaching Chinese students, you're likely not working at a real international school, so that wouldn't be part of the draw anyway.

For us, it's not worth it in the end, especially now that we have a young child, which is part of why we're leaving. At our first job fair, we were offered a job in Beijing and a job in our current city. We chose where we are over Beijing because of the pollution factor. But the pollution and filth is pretty bad here, too.

HoraceMann, think long and hard about taking a job in Beijing. An air purifier will help, but unless you're planning on never leaving your apartment except to go to work (and then what's the point of coming overseas?), you're not going to escape the pollution and filth and dust of Beijing or greater China.

And don't think you're going to escape the grime by getting out of Beijing for the weekend, because China is filthy. You can go to a smaller city for the weekend, and it will be filthy. You can go to a small town, but you'd have no real reason to go, and it's still going to be pretty dirty. All the areas of interest are generally pretty filthy, unless you're going way, way out in the countryside, which isn't easy to get to, especially not from Beijing.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="sevarem"]Buzzkill, I wouldn't really say China is the 'hot' place to teach right now, just that there are many schools in China, so if someone really wants to work there, a job can be found. But if you're teaching Chinese students, you're likely not working at a real international school, so that wouldn't be part of the draw anyway.

For us, it's not worth it in the end, especially now that we have a young child, which is part of why we're leaving. At our first job fair, we were offered a job in Beijing and a job in our current city. We chose where we are over Beijing because of the pollution factor. But the pollution and filth is pretty bad here, too.

HoraceMann, think long and hard about taking a job in Beijing. An air purifier will help, but unless you're planning on never leaving your apartment except to go to work (and then what's the point of coming overseas?), you're not going to escape the pollution and filth and dust of Beijing or greater China.

And don't think you're going to escape the grime by getting out of Beijing for the weekend, because China is filthy. You can go to a smaller city for the weekend, and it will be filthy. You can go to a small town, but you'd have no real reason to go, and it's still going to be pretty dirty. All the areas of interest are generally pretty filthy, unless you're going way, way out in the countryside, which isn't easy to get to, especially not from Beijing.[/quote]
---------------------------------

LOL. I must just go through life with rose colored glasses and lungs I guess. It's not that the city couldn't be dusty and the air couldn't be bad. Obviously it could. But on most days it didn't stop me from enjoying my life, walking to favorite restaurants and the Chinese market, looking out my 17th floor balcony and enjoying the sight, going to the Great Wall in several different places, going to Xian. It was annoying/discouraging at times but (and maybe unfortunately) you just accepted that the air and dust was part of doing business there.

I rarely (if ever) recall my eyes burning and actually choking on the air. I was actually afraid it would be much worse before we got there and so I guess I had even worse fears/expectations (and then was pleasantly surprised). Then again I also rarely if ever got pushed or really felt super-crowded or uncomfortable and we lived in closer to town near Lido).

Like Buzzkill (I think) said, it's not for everyone and maybe not for anyone for more than a few years, but there are still many pleasures and much enjoyment that can be had, even in a decidedly imperfect city like Beijing.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

wrldtrvlr123: To be honest, the pollution hasn't kept us from living life here either. We've traveled all over China, eaten at a ton of interesting restaurants, did a lot of walking in every place that we visited, and our child was born here. Our eyes never burned either.

That being said, the pollution has gotten a lot worse than it was during our first stint in China. Noticeably worse. And our city, being considered the hot and developing new center of economy, is considered one of the worst for pollution and dust in China, sometimes even outpacing Beijing. So while my eyes have never burned, my throat frequently does and you can often taste the pollution on the air.

But I have no real regrets about coming here. I'm glad we got the opportunity, but it's time to leave. And while there are benefits to living in China, I feel that the very real drawbacks should be realistically assessed by anyone considering coming here.